Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This game highlights

Lazy Davante < Hard Working Chris for this team IMO.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen Hard Working Davante outside of a half against DePaul.

And to say Chris is a poor man's Barro is a joke. He's averaging more points on better FG % in less time than Barro.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    I don't know if Davante is frustrated or if he is simply moving on from MU a few months early, but he seems like he is playing for himself out there. He is taking some wild shots, fadeaway baseline 15 footers, unwarranted 3's and the like. Seems like he just wants his point and that is it.
    Does Devante have the greenlight to shoot whenever he wants? Couldn't Buzz put a stop to it if he wanted to? I thought that he has made rules in the past. e.g. no paint touches, no shot

Bleed,

Give me a break. You're pulling a Murff con.

First of all, as a junior Barro averaged 8.1 ppg and 6.9 rpg in 27.0 mpg. If you are talking only about Ooze's senior season, you are right statistically in that he averaged 5.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg in just under 20 mpg.

However, here is what you conveniently left out. Ooze's senior year Jerel averaged 14.9 ppg, DJ averaged 12.9 ppg, Lazar averaged 12.8 ppg, and Wesley averaged 11.3 ppg. That's four teammates who averaged in double figures. Ooze was Option #5 on every possession. He scored on dump offs and put backs.

When Derrick is on the floor, Chris is not Option #5, and Chris is not surrounded by four double-digit scorers, three of whom can create their own shot (Jerel, DJ, Wesley).

Chris's situation/role on this year's team bears no resemblance to Ooze's situation/role on that team, so trying to compare the two is silly.

Phantom I would be

interested in your take as to my analysis on how Otule on the court offensively MIGHT offset DG's points. I know it is most certainly not a scientific analysis, but I do believe it has some basis in fact. I appreciate your opinions and insight.

OMalley82,

Theoretically your observations sense, but it is really difficult to quantify. I would bet, however, that Buzz can give you the exact stats on how we do on offense when DG is in the game (points per possession, field goal percentage, etc.) and when CO is in the game. He could do the same in terms of defense.

There is, however, no question that someone like CO can contribute without the benefits showing up in his individual stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    OMalley82,

Theoretically your observations sense, but it is really difficult to quantify. I would bet, however, that Buzz can give you the exact stats on how we do on offense when DG is in the game (points per possession, field goal percentage, etc.) and when CO is in the game. He could do the same in terms of defense.

There is, however, no question that someone like CO can contribute without the benefits showing up in his individual stats.
    Yes, Buzz can give you those stats but Buzz will also tell you there is more to it that just head to head stats. The most important factor is who plays well with who. Wainwright touched on that a little last night when he said that Burton plays much better when he is opposite Davante as opposed to Chris. So in Buzz' world, its not just who has the stats, it is who is the best mix of five together? Sure, Davante is the leading scorer, but does he score as much when Jamil is in the game? Sure, Jake is the best outside shooter, but does he get the opportunities when Dawson is in the game? (Just using names for examples).

That is the biggest challenge that the staff faces, its not as easy as who are the best 5 players, its what is the best combination of five?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Yes, Buzz can give you those stats but Buzz will also tell you there is more to it that just head to head stats. The most important factor is who plays well with who. Wainwright touched on that a little last night when he said that Burton plays much better when he is opposite Davante as opposed to Chris. So in Buzz' world, its not just who has the stats, it is who is the best mix of five together? Sure, Davante is the leading scorer, but does he score as much when Jamil is in the game? Sure, Jake is the best outside shooter, but does he get the opportunities when Dawson is in the game? (Just using names for examples).

That is the biggest challenge that the staff faces, its not as easy as who are the best 5 players, its what is the best combination of five?
    See, I like when Burton is paired with Otule as Chris can cover for Deonte's defensive weakness and allows for Deonte to be the frontcourt shot hunter. Davante and Steve play fairly well together, though I think Davante is best having Jamil at the 4 and both Mayo and Jake on the perimeter to open up the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Bleed,

Give me a break. You're pulling a Murff con.

First of all, as a junior Barro averaged 8.1 ppg and 6.9 rpg in 27.0 mpg. If you are talking only about Ooze's senior season, you are right statistically in that he averaged 5.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg in just under 20 mpg.

However, here is what you conveniently left out. Ooze's senior year Jerel averaged 14.9 ppg, DJ averaged 12.9 ppg, Lazar averaged 12.8 ppg, and Wesley averaged 11.3 ppg. That's four teammates who averaged in double figures. Ooze was Option #5 on every possession. He scored on dump offs and put backs.

When Derrick is on the floor, Chris is not Option #5, and Chris is not surrounded by four double-digit scorers, three of whom can create their own shot (Jerel, DJ, Wesley).

Chris's situation/role on this year's team bears no resemblance to Ooze's situation/role on that team, so trying to compare the two is silly.
    Honestly I don't care, just don't take him to be a poor man's Ooze.

One could argue that having 4 good scorers around him, he got better looks at the basket than a defense that could pack it in against a bad parimeter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123