Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MU vs Butler....

I think the key to understanding and harnessing Mayo's potential is on the psychological side of the equation. There might be an ADHD factor going on that makes him uncomfortable and challenges a coach to relate at times. He's not stupid and he has an inner fire that we have seen tapped on occasion.

As to the rotation -- the strongest potential synergy comes from Jamil and Mayo. Derrick, Jake and Otule will always work there butt off but are limited on offense. Burton is a wildcard who adds a lot but needs to understand how to use the clock and what is a good shot in regard to the clock. Gardner needs fewer minutes. He's most effective when the other team is a little tired. His defense is spotty at best.

No matter who is on the court ball movement cannot slow down. Finally I saw some Marquette players getting in the face of a teammate or two. That might be a good thing. All those easy scores for Butler players inside meant a failed defensive assignment from a Golden Eagle player. Buehler, Ferris Buehler, Buehler.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Jake and Derrick get a lot of crap, but MU doesn't win that game without them. Jake was great on the glass, and both of them did serious work on defense down the stretch. Both Dunham and Barlow couldn't get a sniff from the perimeter, because those two worked their asses off getting through screens. The last three Dunham hit was well defended and 24 feet out.

Other thoughts...

-Todd is best when he has the green light. Give him a start, and see what happens.
    -Chris played an outstanding second half.
    -Once Deonte learns what a good shot is, he'll be really good.
    -This team gets good rebounding position, but fails to go get the basketball. Too much reaching, and not enough attacking the rebound.
    -I hope the last 13 minutes shows them how hard they have to play to win. Ball movement, screening, cuts, all were faster on offense. Worked hard defensively and closed out much better.
    Great post! Some in the crowd get on Jake and Mayo at the time was sitting at 0 points.

I will harken back to a play in the first half that I really liked from JJJ.

He received the ball deep in the corner on a fast break. Could have taken a 3 but drove to the basket. When help came to cover, he fired a pass to Jamil for a wide open 3.

Two months ago he takes the 3 or is hesitant to drive. Starting to see some glimpses from him.

And remember, he was in that starting group that held Butler scoreless for 5 mintues to start the game. His D must be improving as well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678