Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Georgetown Into NCAA's

Quote Originally Posted by mutpm View Post
    Coming from the person who admits he has skipped more home games this year than the previous 9 combined and also didn't watch a game on TV.

I didn't expect the team to struggle. It's certainly disappointing, but that's where it ends for most of us. I'll still be there tomorrow night cheering them on, just as I have since the early 80's when I started following the team. I will support this team whether they live up to expectations or not.
    Please don't EVER question my passion...i want to keep supporting this team, I do, but it's incredibly hard. As many have said, it's not even a fun team to watch. I mean if they were losing, but were at least playing inspired, close basketball that'd be one thing. But they are getting run over by teams like St. John's. How the hell does that happen?? They are the ONLY team in the league that has lost to Butler @ Butler...even DePaul beat them at Butler. It's just been so shocking to me, it's really thrown me for a loop. I'm honestly not quite sure how to react to it all. Admittedly, all the conference switching and where MU is in regards to that has a lot(if not more) to do with it as well.

Things like this year happen when people, including me, underestimate how much the loss of certain players would have. Couple that with a team that has some talent issues and a team that the coach can't get a good read on.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    NONE of us can judge talent, or we all over rated this group. because quite honestly, there isn't one single poster here(or probably on any of the MU boards), that can honestly say they didn't think this team wouldn't make the NCAA's(comfortably).
    I posted this before the Southern game- http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?top...8194#msg528194

Looks like I'll be wrong about the 12-6 part, but had them pegged in non-con play. Once Duane got hurt, I figured this team would struggle to find any playmaking in the backcourt.

I'm not as frustrated by the record as much as how they got here. They've had so many lapses for several minutes at a time that are totally demoralizing. And even when they play well, they struggle to kill the game off. It's maddening at times.
    Last edited by MUfan12; 02-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Please don't EVER question my passion...i want to keep supporting this team, I do, but it's incredibly hard. As many have said, it's not even a fun team to watch. I mean if they were losing, but were at least playing inspired, close basketball that'd be one thing. But they are getting run over by teams like St. John's. How the hell does that happen?? They are the ONLY team in the league that has lost to Butler @ Butler...even DePaul beat them at Butler. It's just been so shocking to me, it's really thrown me for a loop. I'm honestly not quite sure how to react to it all. Admittedly, all the conference switching and where MU is in regards to that has a lot(if not more) to do with it as well.
    That's the difference, it's not hard for me to support the team. I've supported them through worse seasons than this. I'm disappointed by the play, but am still excited that I get to go to the BC tomorrow night and see them play.

How do they get run over by teams like St. Johns? The same way MU ran over UCONN on the opening night of the Big East. Do you realize MU played Thursday night, got on a plane to get into NYC late Thursday night, got in a practice on Friday, and then played first thing in the morning? When do you install the game plan? St. John's last played on Tuesday. That gave them 48 more hours to prepare. As we've seen, MU isn't consistent enough to just walk on the court and beat teams of similar talent.

ST Johns has more talent then this years MU team.......I don't think it's even that close ...
    Last edited by Markedman; 02-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    ST Johns has more talent then this years MU team.......I don't think it's even that close close....
    It was mind boggling how much they have underachieved this year. They appear to be getting hot right now, so they can still be a tournament team. Stealing one at Creighton would have been huge.

Even if you're not that strong of a coach, at least instill discipline in your team. Lavin's guys just don't play together and with much fire. At least, they hadn't been until recently. I still don't have faith in them, but the talet is there, it will flow (anybody know that reference?)

I'd say that speaks volumes to were most of you are as fans...you accept mediocrity!!! Do your bosses accept mediocrity from you?? Or for those of you that are business owners...do you accept mediocrity from your employees?? I certainly hope not!!
    Accept mediocrity? Is this a mediocre program? Not the last time I checked. One of only three teams in the nation to reach a Sweet 16 the last three years. If this was the 10th straight year of hovering around .500 then OK.

So despite the fact that the struggles this year happen to everyone - even Hall of Fame coaches - we shouldn't accept it? What should we do, stand up and boo the players and the coach and demand that Buzz gets fired? Those are the vocal parasite sports fans who are clueless and likely didn't play sports and were picked last in backyard games. Similar to short guys who grow up and become assholes because they were picked on as a kid.

I assure you, with Buzz in charge this program will be just fine. Relax, cheer the boys on, and enjoy the ride.

Typing rambling paragraphs and using all caps does not equate to passion.

Skipping games, in person and on TV, because the team is having a down year is a pretty damn good reason to question someone's passion. So yes, I am questioning your true passion. Sounds like you have a reserved spot on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    Typing rambling paragraphs and using all caps does not equate to passion.

Skipping games, in person and on TV, because the team is having a down year is a pretty damn good reason to question someone's passion. So yes, I am questioning your true passion. Sounds like you have a reserved spot on the bandwagon.

I love how people can feel free to question my passion because I miss ONE game on TV in well over 20 years(I was out car shopping) but I can't question theirs when they show NO emotion to go along with their supposed passion?? You can't have passion without emotion. It's impossible. I don't care if that passion is basketball, cars, whatever it is in life. Maybe none of you display it on message boards, but I sure as hell hope you all display at least some when watching them get dismantled by a mediocre SJU team, or losing at a terrible Butler team. One of the things I love so much about all of you is not only can i come here to talk MU hoops with you guys, but you are all VERY good as well at offering advice as to how a "rational" adult should act about a losing basketball season. It's like basketball and therapy all in one! Thanks guys!

I love how people can feel free to question my passion because I miss ONE game on TV in well over 20 years(I was out car shopping) but I can't question theirs when they show NO emotion to go along with their supposed passion?? You can't have passion without emotion. It's impossible. I don't care if that passion is basketball, cars, whatever it is in life. Maybe none of you display it on message boards, but I sure as hell hope you all display at least some when watching them get dismantled by a mediocre SJU team, or losing at a terrible Butler team. One of the things I love so much about all of you is not only can i come here to talk MU hoops with you guys, but you are all VERY good as well at offering advice as to how a "rational" adult should act about a losing basketball season. It's like basketball and therapy all in one! Thanks guys!
    Ice, you are the one who randomly attacks most if not all of the posters for not being good enough fans. Don't act put out when people push back against that.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast