Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Georgetown Into NCAA's

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    He's already said that he wanted to be like Memphis. To dominate a weaker conference. Which is strange because the conference that Memphis was dominating was clearly a mid-major.

Exactly!! The current BE IS a mid major conference, I hate to say that but it is. I don't care how good the reputations of some of these schools in it are, the fact of the matter is, without some REALLY REALLY REALLY good fortune, there isn't/won't be one team in this conference(though I do hope MU becomes one) on a yearly basis that would have a legitimate shot of winning a National Championship. Not one. The old BE had probably 5 or 6 every year you could have made an argument for. How far MU has fallen in one short year(in stature) is quite frankly...unbelievable, no matter the reasons. If they were playing this badly in the old BE, okay they'd probably get a pass to some extent, but to be this bad in a weak conference, when you were a near unanimous pick to win it at the start of the year(even AFTER your stud Guard declared), just is dumbfounding. The fact that MU is in the lower half of a bad conference...is quite frankly, in a word...pathetic, and inexcusable. If they can't even finish well above .500 in this lame ass conference(every single year), then quite honestly, there is no hope for MU basketball. The fact that MU can't dominate this conference is absolutely pathetic. A program of MU's stature getting rolled game in game out by lesser programs?? That's something to be proud of!!

I don't like this new BE, and I never will. Period. It sucks. And unfortunately, so does MU this year, further pissing me off.

Iceman...sorry.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ogy/conference

The problem with a lot of conferences is that, while they have attracted some top notch programs, they have also created a lot of mediocrity. Look at the B10 for instance. Yeah they have a lot of great programs, but they have a lot of crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Iceman...sorry.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ogy/conference

The problem with a lot of conferences is that, while they have attracted some top notch programs, they have also created a lot of mediocrity. Look at the B10 for instance. Yeah they have a lot of great programs, but they have a lot of crap too.
    Yes, I don't disagree. it just pisses me off what greed has done to hurt MU. The thing with the B10 is this...as much as I don't like them as a conference, at least they have gotten back to the point where at least ONE of their teams could legitimately win a national championship(Michigan State). The BE doesn't have that(Nova has no shot). Nor will they ever, unless it's MU. The problem I have Sultan is I really did expect MU to just roll in this conference, and honestly, I think i was far from alone in that thinking. Because honestly, there is no reason, they shouldn't be. That's what concerns me...all it takes is one down year and everything you have built up can be destroyed and your reputation is shot in recruiting, national perception etc. The fact that they are sucking so bad in such a weak conference just makes it worse. How can anyone take MU seriously if they can't even win in a crap conference??

Your link further accentuates my point...the fact that MU went from the best BB conference ever assembled with 5-6 legitimate National title contenders every year to one that in a REALLY good year MIGHT get as high as 2nd in conference RPI and still not have a legitimate national title contender, really tells you how far they have fallen. I find that quite sad. I can't even find the enthusiasm anymore to attend every game like I used to(and I live an hour away). A lot of that has to do with the fact they are terrible this year, but moreso than anything, I can't bring myself to get excited to see them play Butler and Xavier as opposed to Syracuse and Louisville. I didn't watch one second of the game yesterday, and I think the last time I missed even a second of a game on TV was probably when I was 10 or 11.
    Last edited by MU_Iceman; 02-02-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    Yes, I don't disagree. it just pisses me off what greed has done to hurt MU. The thing with the B10 is this...as much as I don't like them as a conference, at least they have gotten back to the point where at least ONE of their teams could legitimately win a national championship(Michigan State). The BE doesn't have that(Nova has no shot). Nor will they ever, unless it's MU. The problem I have Sultan is I really did expect MU to just roll in this conference, and honestly, I think i was far from alone in that thinking. Because honestly, there is no reason, they shouldn't be. That's what concerns me...all it takes is one down year and everything you have built up can be destroyed and your reputation is shot in recruiting, national perception etc. The fact that they are sucking so bad in such a weak conference just makes it worse. How can anyone take MU seriously if they can't even win in a crap conference??

Your link further accentuates my point...the fact that MU went from the best BB conference ever assembled with 5-6 legitimate National title contenders every year to one that in a REALLY good year MIGHT get as high as 2nd in conference RPI and still not have a legitimate national title contender, really tells you how far they have fallen. I find that quite sad. I can't even find the enthusiasm anymore to attend every game like I used to(and I live an hour away). A lot of that has to do with the fact they are terrible this year, but moreso than anything, I can't bring myself to get excited to see them play Butler and Xavier as opposed to Syracuse and Louisville. I didn't watch one second of the game yesterday, and I think the last time I missed even a second of a game on TV was probably when I was 10 or 11.

OK, on the first point I completely understand. The quality of a conference is oftentimes skewed to the performance of its better teams. For instance, the ACC is going to look good because of Syracuse and Duke, no matter how poorly Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech perform.

On the second point, you are just going to have to let it go. Marquette is in the best possible conference they could realistically be a part of - the best non-football conference in college basketball. Is it the old BE? No. But those days are gone and not going to return.

5-6 National title contenders every year? Now your just being silly......

2 or 3 I can give you....in some years maybe 3 or 4 but 5-6 every year?

Who were the legitimate NCAA title contenders last year? Louisville....Syracuse ......MU? nobody thought MU had a chance to win all....Georgetown lost in the first round....

Their is no conference now or in the past that has had or will have 5 or 6 NC contenders every year.

Our conference this year in what is likely a down year is the 4th best according to Pomeroy and Sagarin. Very close to #3.

Now if you are mad that the old Big East was #1 or 2 every year....ok....I can buy that.....we aren't that anymore...but we are no more midmajor then the SEC or the Pac 10.

I agree in order to get respect from the media we are going to have to get teams into the final 4 and eventually win a NC.....may not happen this year but a few years ago the Big 10 didn't have even one team make the sweet 16.....this stuff goes in cycles.

You make the best of what you have....crying about it won't change anything....

I hate how people label conferences.

Marquette is in the best conference it can be in and is with other schools it should be with. I can't say that any clearer and that's why I hope other conference schools can make it to the NCAA, even if MU doesn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Marquette is in the best conference it can be in and is with other schools it should be with. I can't say that any clearer and that's why I hope other conference schools can make it to the NCAA, even if MU doesn't make it.
    That's why it was sweet having a struggling G'town team beat Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    That's why it was sweet having a struggling G'town team beat Michigan State.
    I hated that. I want that to be MU. I still don't get why teams root for the other teams in a conference your team plays in to be good?? You should want YOUR team to be the best, year in, year out, and screw everyone else. I take the reverse opinion of most. many think the better the conference, the more it helps MU. I vehemently disagree. Why do you want any of these schools to be good enough they could possibly take recruits from MU, get more notoriety than MU?? Get more national accolades than MU. I don't like MU being an afterthought, and that's exactly what they are right now in a weak conference. That's really sad. I don't want Georgetown to be good, I don't want Nova to be good, I don't want Providence to be better...all that does is give MU more competition. I said it once, I will say it again, I want MU to be the Memphis of this conference. Memphis was always ranked, always had strong recruiting classes(say what you want about how they got them), always made the NCAAs, and that was with the rest of their conference being weak. If MU has to be stuck in this crap hole conference, then the LEAST they should/can do is roll through it on a regular basis. The fact that they can't/may not even finish in the top HALF, let alone be the top 1 or 2 teams in this conference that gets all of you excited, sure as hell doesn't say much for MU does it?? And it sure as hell doesn't do a thing for their national perception(people see them as frauds or just another school that had a nice little run) does it??

And honestly, I'm not sure what it says for all of you that actually LIKE them being in this conference. Settle for less than the best and this is what you get. I personally had/have higher aspirations for MU than to be stuck in this conference. Everyone says "they are where they should be, and with schools they should be with". That's just accepting MU being small time. I don't think like that. I want more/I want them at the highest level possible. This conference is NOT that, football or not...MU should aim higher.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    And honestly, I'm not sure what it says for all of you that actually LIKE them being in this conference. Settle for less than the best and this is what you get. I personally had/have higher aspirations for MU than to be stuck in this conference. Everyone says "they are where they should be, and with schools they should be with". That's just accepting MU being small time. I don't think like that. I want more/I want them at the highest level possible. This conference is NOT that, football or not...MU should aim higher.

Iceman, I just don't know what to tell you. I would like to eight figures tax free dropped into my checking account tomorrow, but that's not going to happen either. So I can't just waste my time worrying about it.

Would I like Marquette to be a basketball only member in the ACC? Yes. Is it going to happen. Likely not. So why can't I be satisfied with Marquette doing the best it possibly can within the parameters in which it operates?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast