Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Georgetown Into NCAA's

Getting Georgetown Into NCAA's

I'd love for the Big East to get five teams in this year, especially with two of three flagship programs in the league (G-Town and Marquette) not up to their normal standard this year (Nova is the other flagship program). While the good guys are all but cooked (and show zero signs of a strong run to end the season), Georgetown picked up a massive win over Michigan State yesterday and propelled themselves strongly into the NCAA discussion. Georgetown now has a real solid non-conference resume, with wins over Sparty, VCU, and Kansas State (all likely tournament teams). Now, they have the small problem of a 3-6 conference record to rectify.

Their remaining schedule lines up like this:
    Home: Butler, Providence, Xavier, Creighton
    Away: DePaul, St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, Villanova

If Hoyas win 7 of the last 9 and get to 10-8 in the league, they will definitely be safely in the field. A tough ask, but certainly doable with just one long shot game on that ledger (at Nova). Now, it gets more interesting if they finish 9-9. I would strongly back their bid, especially with Trawick out for a bunch of the losses (he came back against Nova on Monday). I personally think that the Big East is strong enough to support a 9-9 team that did some really nice things out of the league, and think it would be a big statement perception wise to put a .500 in conference team in the field. I know this is a clear high-major league, but I'd love for some of the morons in the media to get that message stamped across with a worthy fifth place team in the league getting into the dance.

I think Providence has work to do also... I'll be happy if we get 4 in, if we get 5 I'll be ecstatic.

Not sure how the split worked in regards to NCAA tournament credits, but for this year we would get $245k per year for the next 6 years for each game played as a conference... So 4 teams in = $980,000 or $98,000 per year, per team and that's assuming nobody advances... 5 teams would be $1.225 million or $122,500 per year, per team... Now it's likely that if we get 4-5 teams in that someone will win at least a game so that is a baseline not a final number. I think this league will struggle to match old Big East revenues with even only having to split 10 ways as opposed to 16 ways

Who cares?? Let's worry about getting or how to get MU into the NCAA's...Georgetown and Providence?? I could give two shits about them. I hope they don't get in.

Ice - Sometimes your responses are so ridiculous and this is one of them. I think the original poster is going on the assumption that Marq is not going to make it. Sure we can talk all day about how to get Marq in the tourney (which we do inecessantly on this board) but obviously that is a serious long shot right now. If you arent able to realize the importance of getting as many Big East teams in the tourney in it's first year than I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    Ice - Sometimes your responses are so ridiculous and this is one of them. I think the original poster is going on the assumption that Marq is not going to make it. Sure we can talk all day about how to get Marq in the tourney (which we do inecessantly on this board) but obviously that is a serious long shot right now. If you arent able to realize the importance of getting as many Big East teams in the tourney in it's first year than I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sorry....but this has always been a bone of contention of mine. People always talk about, how if "my team can't win it then i want X team to win it". I will use football as an example..Packer fans, of which I am one, always say, "well, if the Bears or Lions or Vikings do this, it makes the division look better". NO NO NO!!! WHO CARES??? I hope they lose every game they play. I'm a Packer fan, period. I want success for them and them only! Same applies to Marquette. I NEVER root for any BE teams in Non conference(unless they play a few certain teams), and If MU isn't going to be in the dance, I don't want any of them to be. I want MU to be the cream of the crop. This conference is what it is, it's going to do what it's going to do. Unfortunately, MU is stuck in it(and quite frankly, sucking in it), and unfortunately, regardless of how many teams make it into the dance it will NEVER change people's perception that it's a mid major conference. I hope all the BE teams that make it in lose in the 1st round. I couldn't care less about the NCAAs this year, and won't watch them. Which is sad because I LIVE for the NCAA tourney every year and have taken off work for as long as I can remember. I'm so disgruntled over this debacle of a season by MU(when it should have never been this bad) that I'm bitter..I have MU to thank for that. Thanks MU!!
    Last edited by MU_Iceman; 02-02-2014 at 02:08 PM.

The only people who think the current BE is "mid-major" are those who don't have a clue about college basketball. No matter what happens, that perception isn't going to change so there really isn't anything we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    I'm sorry....but this has always been a bone of contention of mine. People always talk about, how if "my team can't win it then i want X team to win it". I will use football as an example..Packer fans, of which I am one, always say, "well, if the Bears or Lions or Vikings do this, it makes the division look better". NO NO NO!!! WHO CARES??? I hope they lose every game they play. I'm a Packer fan, period. I want success for them and them only! Same applies to Marquette. I NEVER root for any BE teams in Non conference(unless they play a few certain teams), and If MU isn't going to be in the dance, I don't want any of them to be. I want MU to be the cream of the crop. This conference is what it is, it's going to do what it's going to do. Unfortunately, MU is stuck in it(and quite frankly, sucking in it), and unfortunately, regardless of how many teams make it into the dance it will NEVER change people's perception that it's a mid major conference. I hope all the BE teams that make it in lose in the 1st round. I couldn't care less about the NCAAs this year, and won't watch them. Which is sad because I LIVE for the NCAA tourney every year and have taken off work for as long as I can remember. I'm so disgruntled over this debacle of a season by MU(when it should have never been this bad) that I'm bitter..I have MU to thank for that. Thanks MU!!
    In all seriousness, how old are you? Your response wreaks of immaturity and irrationality.

To start the NFL is a completely different animal than college buckets but I digress...

Mid major or high major - the below logic chain applies to either.

-Do you believe a higher number of bids indicates a stronger or weaker conference? I'll assume your answer to be stronger.
    -Do you believe a conference being viewed as stonger leads to higher volume and quality of recruits coming to the conference? I'll assume your answer to be yes.
    -Do you believe that a higher volume and quality of recruits to said conference increases or decreases the probability of a team within the conference signing these recruits? I'll assume your answer to be increases.
    -Do you believe getting a larger amount of higher quality recruits leads to a higher probability of sustained success of a program? I'll assume your answer to be yes.

Therefore how can you reasonably say that the Big East having or not having success has zero impact on the probability of Marquette's ability to be good going forward. Of course it is up to the individual program itself to take advantage of these increased probabilities and sustain a successful program as we know many do not (DePaul, SH, BC, NCState, PSU, etc). But the fact is, being part of a better conference increases the probabilities of Marquette being better. By your logic, we would have the same probabilities of being good if we were in the Sun Belt Conference.

He's already said that he wanted to be like Memphis. To dominate a weaker conference. Which is strange because the conference that Memphis was dominating was clearly a mid-major.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    He's already said that he wanted to be like Memphis. To dominate a weaker conference. Which is strange because the conference that Memphis was dominating was clearly a mid-major.
    And Memphis is finding life a bit more difficult in a good, not great AAC (that still has five crappy teams).

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast