Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Game thread....

If Otule, Mayo, Taylor, Burton, Dawson, and Thomas had actually gone after some rebounds we wouldn't be talking about this. Derrick was not the problem yesterday, and the offense was as good as it's been this season, so now is really the wrong time to say "replace DeWil with Dawson", especially when Dawson wasn't particularly good yesterday.

Like BLT said, 'Nova was simply better in overtime. We could've had Junior, James, or Diener in there and we weren't going to beat them yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    If Otule, Mayo, Taylor, Burton, Dawson, and Thomas had actually gone after some rebounds we wouldn't be talking about this. Derrick was not the problem yesterday, and the offense was as good as it's been this season, so now is really the wrong time to say "replace DeWil with Dawson", especially when Dawson wasn't particularly good yesterday.

Like BLT said, 'Nova was simply better in overtime. We could've had Junior, James, or Diener in there and we weren't going to beat them yesterday.
    I you want to look at the season as one game, sure, you may be right. When you look at it as a whole, we are where we are because the guards are not good enough.

If we had Junior, James or Diener we probably would have won the game in regulation.......No way to know for certain but if our offense was good with Derrick I'm pretty sure it would have been better with any of those 3. Defensively I'm pretty sure DJ would have done a much better job on Archie and I doubt Junior or Diener would have done much worse(I actually thought Junior became a much better defender his last 2 years).

I think both sides tend to go to extremes in this argument.......IMO..Derrick is not good enough...unfortunately we do not have anyone who has proven to be better....So that leaves us where we are.....at 11-9 with a group of guards that aren't good enough........

Let's hope that we are better and more entertaining next year.......bad and boring is a bad combination for fans.....they tend to complain alot when that is what they are left to watch day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I you want to look at the season as one game, sure, you may be right. When you look at it as a whole, we are where we are because the guards are not good enough.
    We are where we are for a number of reasons. Inconsistency from Jamil, Todd, and Davante is probably at the top of that list.

It just baffles me that people are so quick to give a pass to the guys we had high expectations for and blame the guys we had low expectations for. Most of the games we lost were lost because guys that needed to show up didn't, more often than not the three I listed above.

Would we be better off if we had better guards that could pick up the slack when Jamil, Davante, and Todd have bad games? Sure. But that doesn't excuse the stars of this team not showing up to play far too often for this team to have consistent success.

We are where we are for a number of reasons. Inconsistency from Jamil, Todd, and Davante is probably at the top of that list.

It just baffles me that people are so quick to give a pass to the guys we had high expectations for and blame the guys we had low expectations for. Most of the games we lost were lost because guys that needed to show up didn't, more often than not the three I listed above.

Would we be better off if we had better guards that could pick up the slack when Jamil, Davante, and Todd have bad games? Sure. But that doesn't excuse the stars of this team not showing up to play far too often for this team to have consistent success.
    I agree with what you're saying Brew, but Todd, Jamil, and Davante are not star level performers. This is no star on this team, and that is what is terribly missing. Jamil and Davante are generally pretty good, and Todd is anything and everything from game to game. I hoped that Jamil could be a Jimmy Butler type all-around star, and Todd and Davante could lead a solid, half-court based offense. It did not happen that way, much to my unfortunate surprise, and this team is a just a couple of steps behind every other Buzz team.

I'm not excusing anyone. However, the three you mentioned would be better with better guard play. Derrick isn't very skilled at getting Davante the ball where he wants it. I would bet you even two or three of the assists credited to Derrick yesterday were quite generous. Passing the ball to Davante, then Davante backs his guy down and gets a bucket. Cheap assists from a home town scorekeeper.

See this is what I mean......You want this to be true to justify your opinion of Derrick.

Here is news....You don't need anything to justify your opinion......it is your opinion...you have a right to it.....

Can we just forget this topic?

I'm not excusing anyone. However, the three you mentioned would be better with better guard play. Derrick isn't very skilled at getting Davante the ball where he wants it. I would bet you even two or three of the assists credited to Derrick yesterday were quite generous. Passing the ball to Davante, then Davante backs his guy down and gets a bucket. Cheap assists from a home town scorekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    See this is what I mean......You want this to be true to justify your opinion of Derrick.

Here is news....You don't need anything to justify your opinion......it is your opinion...you have a right to it.....

[/B]
    No kidding. Next thing you will re watch the game and file a formal complaint with the Big East to dock Derrick's stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post

[/B]
    Cool! You are right, it is my opinion, just like Brews opinion is his/hers! No need to beat a dead horse I guess.

Cool! You are right, it is my opinion, just like Brews opinion is his/hers! No need to beat a dead horse I guess.

Well, you pretty much seem to go out of your way to discredit everything Derrick does well, and harp on everything he doesn't. Confirmation bias.

I think the biggest problem with Derrick on Saturday is that he played too long. 36 minutes is simply too many and I think his defense suffered for it later on. I also don't think Dawson was *that* bad and should have gotten more like 15 minutes.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast