Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some early resume comparison:

Some early resume comparison:

I was talking with a friend today about Marquette’s tournament chances, I haven’t been shy in saying that I don’t think Marquette will make the tournament this year after our rough non conference slate, however for fun I decided to compare Marquette’s current resume against Joe Lunardi’s Last Four In just to see how far off we are as a friend of mine argued that he doesn’t believe we are as far off as I think we are:

Last Four In:

Stanford:

RPI: 54

SOS: 39

Vs. RPI Top 50: 2-5

Vs. RPI Top 100: 3-5

Best Win: Oregon (RPI 36) and UCONN (RPI 36)

Bad Losses: None

Home Record: 8-2

Road Record: 3-2

Neutral Site: 1-2

SMU:

RPI: 43

SOS: 109

Vs. RPI Top 50: 1-3

Vs. RPI Top 100: 2-4

Best Win: UCONN (RPI 36)

Home Record: 10-0

Road Record: 3-3

Neutral Site: 2-1

Providence:

RPI: 48

SOS: 63

Vs. RPI Top 50: 1-3

Vs. RPI Top 100: 5-4

Best Win: Creighton (RPI 10)

Home Record: 10-1

Road Record: 2-2

Neutral Site: 2-2

Southern Miss:

RPI: 33

SOS: 125

Vs. RPI Top 50: 1-1

Vs. RPI Top 100: 4-1

Best Win: North Dakota St. (RPI 45)

Home Record: 6-0

Road Record: 6-3

Neutral Site: 3-0

Marquette:

RPI: 85

SOS: 88

Vs. RPI Top 50: 1-6

Vs. RPI Top 100: 3-8

Best Win: George Washington (RPI 27)

Home Record: 8-1

Road Record: 2-5

Neutral Site: 1-2

We are probably 9-12 teams out as of today, on the fringe of serious discussion (heated discussion is around last 4-6 teams in and the 6-8 teams right outside of the field). I think that 12-6 will definitely be good enough, as again there looks to be about 35 surefire tournament teams and then filling out the field with significantly flawed teams.

our strength of schedule is only 88? That surprises me.

The way I look at it is if we win tomorrow we can at least start paying attention to the bubble again….if we lose then back to the reality…..of being 11-9…..

Also here is the remaining schedule with RPI numbers, looks like we have 6 top 50 games left, and then 5 additional top 100 games remaining and then whatever we draw in the Big East Tournament.

Vs. Nova (RPI #5)

Vs. Providence (RPI #48)

@ St. John’s (RPI #84)

Vs. Butler (RPI #89)

@ Seton Hall (RPI #120)

Vs. Xavier (RPI #30)

Vs. Creighton (RPI #10)

@ Depaul (RPI #90)

Vs. Georgetown (RPI #74)

@ Villanova (RPI #5)

@ Providence (RPI #48)

Vs. St. John’s (RPI #84)

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    Yet we have 11 top 100 games, 7 top 50. Too may 250-300+ RPI teams unfortunately.

Buy games killed us…….. although we rank higher then that by other metrics…..Sagarin for example has our SOS at 21…

I just looked…we played 6 games against teams with RPI’s of 299 or worse this year…….6!

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    Last edited by Markedman; 01-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.

To be in the discussion I think we must win the Seton Hall, and Depaul road games (totally doable), then I think we have to go 1-2 in the three remaining games against Nova and Creighton. If we truly want to be taken seriously the remaining games against Butler, St. John’s x2, and Georgetown are must wins. Then I think we have to go 2-1 in the three games against Providence, and Xavier. That would leave us at a conference record of 12-6 with a record of 4-9 against the top 50, and 11-11 against the top 100 with no bad losses. Add to that two wins in the Big East tournament and we are in… I am just not confident we can do that, that means we’d need to finish 11-4 (with a 2-1 BE Tournament record) to make the tournament… that’s a tough hill to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    To be in the discussion I think we must win the Seton Hall, and Depaul road games (totally doable), then I think we have to go 1-2 in the three remaining games against Nova and Creighton. If we truly want to be taken seriously the remaining games against Butler, St. John’s x2, and Georgetown are must wins. Then I think we have to go 2-1 in the three games against Providence, and Xavier. That would leave us at a conference record of 12-6 with a record of 4-9 against the top 50, and 11-11 against the top 100 with no bad losses. Add to that two wins in the Big East tournament and we are in… I am just not confident we can do that, that means we’d need to finish 11-4 (with a 2-1 BE Tournament record) to make the tournament… that’s a tough hill to climb.
    Why wouldn't 12-6 do it? (or, 11-7 with 1 in the BET). Three more losses (plus another in the BET), take your pick; It's not like we are at risk for a slew of bad losses coming up. If we do that, there should be enough quality wins to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Buy games killed us…….. although we rank higher then that by other metrics…..Sagarin for example has our SOS at 21…

I just looked…we played 6 games against teams with RPI’s of 299 or worse this year…….6!
    This is why I was complaining about our schedule preseason and why UW's schedule is so good. The key to a good schedule is minimizing your RPI drains. We didn't do that this year, though likely because of the fear the meat grinder of tough games could be a train wreck, like it was. If we stack this schedule with teams in the 150-250 range instead of sub-299, maybe we have 1-2 more losses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast