Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Vander Blue --- Celtics Blog

Meet Vander Blue --- Celtics Blog

That is a great and complete article. It makes me wonder what Vander might have accomplished with another year of strength and conditioning training, and a year clearly being the guy in the spotlight. Well, as I have said in the past, it was his decision to make. I hope it works out well for him in the end.

He doesn't look like he lacks in upper body strength to me.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    That is a great and complete article. It makes me wonder what Vander might have accomplished with another year of strength and conditioning training, and a year clearly being the guy in the spotlight. Well, as I have said in the past, it was his decision to make. I hope it works out well for him in the end.
    You act like there's no S & C coaches in the NBA or NBDL.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    He doesn't look like he lacks in upper body strength to me.

Compared to the typical NBA 2-guard he does.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    You act like there's no S & C coaches in the NBA or NBDL.
    He was not with the NBA or NBDL that long. Just before training camp with the 6ers and a couple of days with the Celtics. NBDL was not that long either. He would have had full time with MU's S&C coaches (I am not debating the topic for UJ, just pointing out).

I have a belief, but there will be no definitive proof if Vander made a mistake. Last years draft was weak and this years is supposed to be very strong. I would guess that played into his taking the chance. I would love to have him on this team, but since he is not, all I can do is cheer for him to succeed in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    He was not with the NBA or NBDL that long. Just before training camp with the 6ers and a couple of days with the Celtics. NBDL was not that long either. He would have had full time with MU's S&C coaches (I am not debating the topic for UJ, just pointing out).

I have a belief, but there will be no definitive proof if Vander made a mistake. Last years draft was weak and this years is supposed to be very strong. I would guess that played into his taking the chance. I would love to have him on this team, but since he is not, all I can do is cheer for him to succeed in the NBA.
    I understand. I just feel like there is, for some on reason, an underlying belief that the only place guys can improve/get stronger is in college.

Some people believe once a player leaves college they cant improve, they cant get better, etc. There are better development coaches and better S & C programs in the NBA than in college.

They will actually improve more once in the pros because they don't have classes, studying, exams, papers to write etc, all they do is work on hoops full time as that is their job.

The difference is, especially in a situation like Vander's, is the overall product. Now he looks like he needs a bit more mass, and a more refined game. Fine, he can work on that, but hard to when you are bouncing from Philly, to NBDL, to Israel, to NBDL, to Boston. Very inconsistent workouts, coaches, diet etc. Had he stayed at MU he would have had full and constant training, development etc. He would be a more refined, finished product, making him more attractive to NBA GMs, not someone who needs time.

Remember, Van is a year younger than those in his class. Unlike Mayo who is older, Van is a full year younger than those around him.

The NBA drafts on potential, they have to. But when it comes to free agents and undrafted players, they look at 'how can you help us now'?

Look at buying bananas. Seriously. Do you buy the green ones or the yellow ones? Sure, the green ones will turn yellow if they sit in your house for 4-5 days, but you want to eat a banana now, right? The yellow banana is more complete, and ready to help you now.

Had Vander stayed, he would be a more complete player, physically, mentally and skills-wise. Everyone will get better once in the pros, but it is all about your entry into the league, and Vander could have used another year.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Just watching that highlight reel makes the mind wander again as to what type of stats he could have on the team this year. I'm glad he's getting a chance in the bigs, but I think he could have guaranteed money had he stayed for this year.

Not to discount Todd Smith, and I fully understand the difficulty of trying to gain upper body strength while living the vagrant life, but having 3 years here, would Vander have gained more physically staying at Marquette than he would getting training in the pros? I have to imagine Philly and Boston have pretty good S&C programs themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast