Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: G-Town Tonight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

G-Town Tonight

Kind of a crossroads game for two struggling teams. Will be a tough matchup for MU given the strength of G-Town's starting backcourt in Smith-Rivera and Starks. If our backcourt can play reasonably well, perhaps our frontcourt can take charge in this game? Will be interesting. Also, we'll get a look at former MU commit Aaron Bowen.

I'm expecting a loss in this one. We just haven't been able to put together 40 minutes on the road yet, and I think it will take gaining some confidence at home before we show it on the road. I do not, however, think tonight is quite make-or-break. We can lose tonight and Saturday and still be in the hunt for an at-large bid (though with zero margin for error).

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I'm expecting a loss in this one. We just haven't been able to put together 40 minutes on the road yet, and I think it will take gaining some confidence at home before we show it on the road. I do not, however, think tonight is quite make-or-break. We can lose tonight and Saturday and still be in the hunt for an at-large bid (though with zero margin for error).

It really is sad that this far into the season we are discussing whether or not this team has a pulse for the NCAA tourney right now. That should have been the LAST topic we were discussing at this part of the season. Anything tourney related this far into the season should have revolved around whether they were at a #2 seed or #3 seed level like many expected/thought they would be. The fact they are THIS close to not getting in is quite frankly pathetic.

I do understand that it really is about just getting in, but Let's be honest, there are VERY few (if any) that didn't think they would get in when the season started, and essentially that the season they'd be basically just playing for seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    It really is sad that this far into the season we are discussing whether or not this team has a pulse for the NCAA tourney right now. That should have been the LAST topic we were discussing at this part of the season. Anything tourney related this far into the season should have revolved around whether they were at a #2 seed or #3 seed level like many expected/thought they would be. The fact they are THIS close to not getting in is quite frankly pathetic.

I do understand that it really is about just getting in, but Let's be honest, there are VERY few (if any) that didn't think they would get in when the season started, and essentially that the season they'd be basically just playing for seeding.
    Yeah, but it is what it is. I thought they'd be playing for seeding, but this team hasn't been what we thought they'd be. Jamil has disappeared when we needed him most. Todd has been on and off more than a bathroom light switch in a Mexican restaurant. Jake has played far too many minutes for a guy we thought would be a spot player as a former walk-on. This team has problems, so it is where it is, fighting for its tourney life in January.

The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low. This team could still make a deep run if they get in. I know...we don't look like we'd match up with a top team right now, but can you imagine this team getting hot and getting into that 7-10 seed range? What 1 or 2 seed wants to see a hot Buzz Williams-coached Marquette team in their second game?

Will they reach their potential? Who knows. Right now the answer looks like it would be no. But for some reason, I still think they'll be dancing when all is said and done. I have faith that they will start to figure it out. Maybe not tonight, maybe not Saturday, but starting January 30, I think we are going to go on a run. Get some confidence, win some games (including a few people won't expect), and come into MSG on the right side of the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    Yeah, but it is what it is. I thought they'd be playing for seeding, but this team hasn't been what we thought they'd be. Jamil has disappeared when we needed him most. Todd has been on and off more than a bathroom light switch in a Mexican restaurant. Jake has played far too many minutes for a guy we thought would be a spot player as a former walk-on. This team has problems, so it is where it is, fighting for its tourney life in January.

The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low. This team could still make a deep run if they get in. I know...we don't look like we'd match up with a top team right now, but can you imagine this team getting hot and getting into that 7-10 seed range? What 1 or 2 seed wants to see a hot Buzz Williams-coached Marquette team in their second game?

Will they reach their potential? Who knows. Right now the answer looks like it would be no. But for some reason, I still think they'll be dancing when all is said and done. I have faith that they will start to figure it out. Maybe not tonight, maybe not Saturday, but starting January 30, I think we are going to go on a run. Get some confidence, win some games (including a few people won't expect), and come into MSG on the right side of the bubble.
    Glad you are sticking on the positive side Brew. I jumped off way too early last year, and Buzz worked miracles to get us to 14 Big East wins and the Elite 8. I waved the white flag myself here after Butler, as I think Buzz is out of magic pills for this season. Hope I am not foolish for doubting Buzz again, but is hard to remain optimistic after Saturday's effort.

I think we absolutely need a win Saturday though for any NCAA chances. The profile will look fairly empty without a big Nova win.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    Glad you are sticking on the positive side Brew. I jumped off way too early last year, and Buzz worked miracles to get us to 14 Big East wins and the Elite 8. I waved the white flag myself here after Butler, as I think Buzz is out of magic pills for this season. Hope I am not foolish for doubting Buzz again, but is hard to remain optimistic after Saturday's effort.

I think we absolutely need a win Saturday though for any NCAA chances. The profile will look fairly empty without a big Nova win.
    Warriorfan4life - If you are raising the white flag, then I know post season chances are over! You have always been very positive and optimistic! A glass half full guy, compared to my glass half empty approach.

I will say this...that Butler loss was infuriating. Mainly because we had that game by the short and curlies. It was like Louisville all over again, with the biggest difference being you could see it coming and there was enough time to actually do something about it...and no one did!

Our season will be determined in the 9 games after tonight. 6 of them are at home. The three on the road are SJU, Seton Hall, and DePaul. There are some big asks in there. 'Nova, Creighton, and Xavier all visit the BC. But if we can win 7-8 of those games, we will be right there at the end. And with Providence at home, St. John's away, and Butler at home, there's every chance we can string together 3 straight wins to get some momentum rolling.

That's what's most galling about this season. Our longest winning streak so far is 2 games. This team hasn't been able to get on a roll at all. I'd really like to see what happens if they can win a few in a row and build some confidence. Hopefully that starts soon, because February will be make or break time for this team.

I think you mean that you hope you DO end up looking foolish...

The silver lining is that this team still has that potential we saw in the preseason. Jamil CAN play like an All-American when he's on. Todd can get hot. Deonte has shown he can be an offensive spark plug. Derrick has shown he won't be the guy that loses us games. And Davante can be dominant when he can play down low.

and Our longest winning streak so far is 2 games.

This fits the description of an inconsistent team and I believe they will stay inconsistent and therefore not be able to string together enough of a run to earn an at large. Also, yes it may be the silver lining but it's also what gets people (myself included) so frustrated with this team. Just kind of is what it is.

Will be interesting to see if Jabril Trawick and Joshua Smith are available tonight......

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast