Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
I wanted to wait before I posted this because I didn't want to be irrational. Anyway...my takeaways:

-- A lot of people praised Derrick for playing his best game. The problem was it wasn't his game. His turnovers kept a big lead from becoming a blowout and as much as he helped build that lead, the ball in his hands late in the shot clock helped tear it down. He's at his best under control.
-- Jamil and Mayo are absolutely the problem with this team. Inconsistency seems to be in their DNA. We needed them to step up and hit shots to end the run, they never did.
-- Davante at the top of the key is something that causes me to wake up screaming from my nightmares. Yes, Butler clogged the lanes, but it doesn't help when the guy you need to get it to isn't even in position to receive a pass. How he has not learned in 4 years that he is not a point guard is beyond me.
-- This team has no leadership. Burton has that spark but not yet that game. We need to see a huge jump from him next year, because none of DW, Todd, or Juan have shown they have it either. This is the most disappointing senior class I can remember.
-- We aren't dead yet. The number for me is still 11. If we lose the next two to fall to 2-5 in league, I could still see us winning 9 of our last 11. The schedule opens up that much. Do that and win 2 at MSG and I think we're in.
-- Butler is not good. This is the worst loss I've seen since DePaul in 2010. But Butler IS a lot tougher than we are. And that's sad. What makes yesterday worse is that they didn't so much take the win as we just let it get away. Missed shots, no energy, dumb mistakes, we had about 20 chances to end that run and put the game away. Because Butler kept giving them to us. And we continued to drop the ball.
-- One last thing...Derrick for me is probably our MVP this season. Mainly because he's the only guy that gives us solid play night in and night out. On a team with Jamil, Davante, and Todd, I am really disappointed to say that. He shouldn't ever be our best player. But he's the only one who's rarely bad. Also...when an average PG who can't shoot is your MVP, that's when you are 10-8.

Derrick is your MVP? That team wont make the NCAA as you predict.