Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derrick, Part 3,000

Derrick, Part 3,000

IWB made an interesting point after the X game stating that Derrick performs his primary responsibility of not turning it over well. True. Fact is, we still turn the ball over a considerable amount when he is on the floor, which is largely overlooked by those defending DW's low turnover rate. While he doesn't turn the ball over directly, I believe indirectly, his presence and lack of offensive creation/playmaking/shooting talent leads to a good percentage of our overall turnovers. Lesser ball handlers are consistently forced to create on their own off the dribble into an oversaturated lane coupled with the constant double teams on everyone not named DW attacking the basket in one form or another. On top of this, I believe DW alone costs us 5-10 post points per game due to his man sagging into the paint on every possession.

I'm not saying some combination of John Dawson, Jake Thomas, or Todd Mayo manning the primary point guard responsibilities is a better option, however, I will say that I believe in a season where we can all acknowledge that staying with DW will likely take us to the NIT, what is there to lose at this point? Yes, we are spoiled. That said, Buzz owes it to the seniors and the fans to consistently put the best team on the floor. At the end of the day, I'm just afraid that we'll have to hear Buzz say at some point that this is the year that taught him lessons about "loyalty" to his guys. Derrick is not a high major point guard. Time to move on or drown in stubborness.

Oh goody. Another thread to bash Derrick. As if we did not have enough already.

Perhaps in the spirit of a good message board, instead of being an arrogant J/A, you could simply respond to the the points that were made. I realize that expectation may be a bit lofty for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    IWB made an interesting point after the X game stating that Derrick performs his primary responsibility of not turning it over well. True. Fact is, we still turn the ball over a considerable amount when he is on the floor, which is largely overlooked by those defending DW's low turnover rate. While he doesn't turn the ball over directly, I believe indirectly, his presence and lack of offensive creation/playmaking/shooting talent leads to a good percentage of our overall turnovers.

So now Derrick is to blame for the turnovers that other players make?

Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    So now Derrick is to blame for the turnovers that other players make?

Good lord.
    Did I say that? Please reread the paragraph you felt the need to highlight, look up the word "indirectly," and get back bud.

I read it. That's exactly what you said. Derrick's presence on the floor causes other people to turn the ball over. I think that's is a reach. A big one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I read it. That's exactly what you said. Derrick's presence on the floor causes other people to turn the ball over. I think that's is a reach. A big one.
    Indirectly, yes. After your review of the game film, please present your argument against this stance. I'll be ready with examples to support my point.

It's actually a fair point.

Sultan-do you believe the driving and passing lanes are more clogged by the guy playing a one man zone off of Dw?

If your answer is yes (which i presume it will be as anyone who's played bball knows this to be the case), than my next question is do you believe more traffic in passing and driving lanes leads to a higher probability of turnovers?

Once again I will presume your answer to be yes. Therefore, Dw's presence on the offensive end does also indirectly contribute to more team turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    It's actually a fair point.

Sultan-do you believe the driving and passing lanes are more clogged by the guy playing a one man zone off of Dw?

If your answer is yes (which i presume it will be as anyone who's played bball knows this to be the case), than my next question is do you believe more traffic in passing and driving lanes leads to a higher probability of turnovers?

Once again I will presume your answer to be yes. Therefore, Dw's presence on the offensive end does also indirectly contribute to more team turnovers.

But is that what is happening? Is Derrick to blame for Otule's travels? Is he to blame for Juan's charge?

I have come to the conclusion that people don't really like Derrick as a player, and are going to find ways to blame him for things even when he has a good game.

Sultan refuses to acknowledge negative aspects of Marquette players' game. As someone who's attempt rationalizing with him, it's a waste of time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast