Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: X Game

Quote Originally Posted by zklup54 View Post
    I still think this team has got the talent, we just have yet to see them consistently play well. One game they can't shoot, but their defense is great, last night they shot great, but had poor defense. If they could just put it all together. I don't know if it is just me, but in every loss so far, besides maybe Creighton, we have come back to be only be down 1 or 2 or even tied, but we can never get that one basket to put us up. We usually always fall back to being down 4 or 5. It's frustrating because we are right there, but we don't have a player to close it out for us like we have had in the past.
    You are absolutely right on this...the problem has been, that I have noticed in all their close losses, is they go away from Davante for whatever reason down the stretch. Last night, they got it close, and suddenly for whatever reason, they stopped going inside to Davante. Instead it seemed everyone wanted to go for the "kill shot" so to speak, and jacked up stuipd stuff, Xavier then pulled away. You MUST get davante touches down the stretch when it's close like that. Not many can stop him. Last night was another example of that.

Ice - you are right on with the going away from Davante down the stretch and that blame has to go on the coach and/or the pg who as everyone always says is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor. There is no excuse for Ox to not be given touches in late game situations.

How "late" do you define "late game?"

Here are MU's possessions starting at the 7:58 mark:

7:58 Davante made layup
    7:11 Mayo made shot
    6:37 Davante made layup
    5:47 Jamil made three
    5:08 Jamil missed three
    4:48 Deonte made shot
    3:50 Deonte missed shot
    3:00 Davante missed shot
    2:28 Jake made three
    1:36 Deonte made layup

By the time we got the ball back it was under 1:00, down five and threes started to go up. (The first was was a straight on 3 by Jake that wasn't a bad shot by any means)

So we had 10 offensive possessions. Scored on 7 of them. (Davante was 2/3, Deonte was 2/3, Jamil was 1/2, Jake was 1/1, Todd was 1/1) I think the problem is despite the fact that we scored on 7/10 possessions between the 8:00 and 1:00 marks, Xavier pretty much matched going 8/11. (They hit some threes...made some free throws.)

Defense was terrible.

Good stuff Sultan. I guess my feeling is that this team flows better offensively when they play from inside to out and run things through Ox. It just felt like he didn't get enough touches (not necessarily shots) down the stretch. All in all though there is no denying that our defense and rebounding lost us the game---that's undeniable.

I thought the missed jump shot from about 18-20 feet by DG(fairly early in the shot clock IIRC) at the 3 minute mark was a killer. It was fitting that of all people Todd Mayo seemed to take Gardner to task for not working for a better shot.

I thought Todd played very good team ball last night......

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    I was actually higher on that team than most going into that year. I absolutely thought they were an NCAA team. There were some bumpy times no doubt, but in the end they ended up exactly where I thought they would be...in the dance. The difference is though...NO ONE( a few) thought that team would make the NCAAs...so by all accounts, they EXCEEDED expectations...this one on the other hand...EVERYONE expected them to be an NCAA tourney team, and most were figuring on a 2-3 seed type year. They might not even make the NIT. if that isn't playing so far below expectations, I don't know what is?? That's the big difference between these two teams.
    You're the first person I know to claim they thought the 09-10 team was NCAA level before the year started. Lazar was the only proven commodity. Acker and Cooby both looked like disappointments, DJO and Buycks were complete unknowns, and neither Fulce nor Butler had shown much to suggest they'd be more than bit players.

Anyway...the truth is this team simply hasn't met potential. Jamil hasn't grown into a stud like we've seen happen in the past with Blue, Crowder, DJO, and Butler. Gardner has had moments, but for the most part the new rules have hurt more than helped him. Mayo hasn't taken the step that we saw Blue take as a junior. And both McKay and Blue left before the season started. The ultimate irony is that the two guys most people expected relatively little out of statistically, Derrick and Jake, are the two that are taking the brunt of the criticism despite the simple truth that the guys most expected to deliver on the statistical end aren't doing so and yet aren't getting the same criticism.

Is this team underachieving? Yes, because the expectation was that guys like Jamil, Gardner, and Mayo would take the same kind of steps forward we've seen from guys like Jimmy, Jae, and Blue in recent years. Instead, they have simply stagnated or in many regards even regressed. But what the hell...let's point the finger at Derrick and Jake.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112