Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hunt article on Buzz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I see what you are saying Iceman, but I think a bunch of coaches play the underdog card, even the "top dogs." I think Calipari has played that card numerous times, even after winning a National Championship.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Oh god, the "I know you are but what am I" card getting played? What is this, Scoop?

ngbbs4da9c8a6581db.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ziggysfryboy; 01-09-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Well...Calipari did talk about 40-0 this year. Didn't work out so well for him.

oh did he? My bad then---I remembered him talking about how they'd be lucky to stay on the court with MSU for that opening game. Maybe Cal was a bad example, but my point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    oh did he? My bad then---I remembered him talking about how they'd be lucky to stay on the court with MSU for that opening game. Maybe Cal was a bad example, but my point still stands.

Well he did both.

He talked about the goal of 40-0, not necessarily with this team but as a goal he has as a coach, back in May. He then talked about the MSU game similar how you remember it. My guess is that after holding practice with these guys for a few weeks, he realized that they had a lot of work to do.

I sort of went of the rails last night, but seriously, what other choice does Buzz have but to play the underdog card at this point in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    I sort of went of the rails last night, but seriously, what other choice does Buzz have but to play the underdog card at this point in the season?
    I realize Buzz and I are completely different, but me personally with this group..I'd tell them repeatedly, if you don't start playing to your potential, changes are going to be made, and you won't like them. They are only underdogs, because for whatever reason, they have made themselves into that with their performances thus far. Not because this group has peaked and this is the best they are. Buzz knows his guys and what will or won't work with them(hopefully), but with this particular group because they have been playing well below what they are capable, I'd tell them, "you're underdogs because you've sucked and made yourself underdogs..now, you can either start playing like your capable, and turn your season around, or you can keep going the way you have...the choice is up to you, it's your careers and your season, how do you want to be remembered"?? Then I'd ask the Seniors how they want to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    I realize Buzz and I are completely different, but me personally with this group..I'd tell them repeatedly, if you don't start playing to your potential, changes are going to be made, and you won't like them. They are only underdogs, because for whatever reason, they have made themselves into that with their performances thus far. Not because this group has peaked and this is the best they are. Buzz knows his guys and what will or won't work with them(hopefully), but with this particular group because they have been playing well below what they are capable, I'd tell them, "you're underdogs because you've sucked and made yourself underdogs..now, you can either start playing like your capable, and turn your season around, or you can keep going the way you have...the choice is up to you, it's your careers and your season, how do you want to be remembered"?? Then I'd ask the Seniors how they want to go out.
    And therein lies the difference. Buzz gets paid millions of dollars to know what this group needs to hear and tell them that. He's proven over the past few years that he's pretty darn good at it.

I get that everyone thinks they're the smartest guy in the room, but sometimes it's best to simply sit back and accept that some people have a better grasp on things than others. When it comes to managing basketball teams, Buzz seems to have a great grasp on how to both motivate and improve his team's caliber of play over the course of a season. And all the screaming from the keyboard won't change that Buzz is going to do things his way.

I don't know...I just don't get the point of posts like this. If you had the knowledge and drive to know how to properly motivate a team, wouldn't you be coaching instead of posting? Let the coach coach. That's what he's paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    And therein lies the difference. Buzz gets paid millions of dollars to know what this group needs to hear and tell them that. He's proven over the past few years that he's pretty darn good at it.

I get that everyone thinks they're the smartest guy in the room, but sometimes it's best to simply sit back and accept that some people have a better grasp on things than others. When it comes to managing basketball teams, Buzz seems to have a great grasp on how to both motivate and improve his team's caliber of play over the course of a season. And all the screaming from the keyboard won't change that Buzz is going to do things his way.

I don't know...I just don't get the point of posts like this. If you had the knowledge and drive to know how to properly motivate a team, wouldn't you be coaching instead of posting? Let the coach coach. That's what he's paid for.
    Brew - obviously Buzz is better at pushing buttons and coaching than any of us are, I don't think anyone (except Murph) would argue that. That being said, and I'm not siding with Ice's opinion, but isn't one of the fun aspects of message boards to bring up points about the team, coach, program, recruiting that you believe could improve things? Just because someone is obviously better at it, doesn't mean we can't have fun critiquing, debating it or commenting on it, right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast