Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hunt article on Buzz

He has both private & public phone and e-mail, but those have gotten out there.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Like what UJ pointed out on the other board, the part about Buzz all came from a response to someone else' question in the media room after the DePaul game.

Buzz was comparing himself to Davante in that, in Davante's first three years he could score all the time because no one knew who he was or cared, he was just 'the heavy kid'. He said the same was true about MU. Nobody picked us to win anything. Now, Davante is a first team all Big East pick and MU is picked to win the league, so now Davante and MU are not unnoticed, they have people gunning for them. Said it is a lot harder for MU to win and for Davante to score with a huge target on our backs.

He went on to say that he gets more texts and phone calls right now, more per week than the first few years combined. He blames himself, saying that in the first few years, nobody cared who he was, nobody called or e-mailed or texted him, so he gave his number out a lot. "If there is ever anything I can do to help.....If I can be of any help". Now they are all calling, e-mailing and texting, to the point where it is beyond overwhelming. He said the most frustrating part is that they are all trying to help him fix his problems, telling him how he should be coaching the team. "So what, the last three years I was a great coach and now I need help because I somehow forgot how to coach?"

Frustrating.

It's frustrating, but isn't that pretty much the nature of fandom everywhere?

Whatever Buzz needs to do or say to build that chip on his shoulder, I'm all for it.

I don't know...I mean, the "underdog, chip on the shoulder" thing seems to have worked, but I'm not sure if you always want to be viewed that way, do you?? Wouldn't you rather be the team everyone wants to knock off?? The team that nationwide fans hate you because you are so good every year?? I don't want MU to always be viewed as "an underdog". That means you don't think you can be one of the top dogs in college BB. You will NEVER get to elite status if you play the "underdog" role every year, and thrive on it. The only way to become elite is to get to the point where you get a LITTLE arrogant, knowing that you are one of those teams viewed nationally that are expected to win almost every time you step on the court, and you are ranked in the top 10-20 almost regularly. To hear him say it's a lot harder for MU to win with a target on their backs?? I get where he's coming from, but at some point you have to embrace the "target on our backs" role, and it should no longer become "harder" to win. It's almost like saying, or admitting, you will never get to, or embrace being the best of the best, and you'd rather be one of those "feel good" stories. It's time to stop being "David" and thus thinking like you are "David", and start becoming, and thinking like "Goliath".

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    I don't know...I mean, the "underdog, chip on the shoulder" thing seems to have worked, but I'm not sure if you always want to be viewed that way, do you?? Wouldn't you rather be the team everyone wants to knock off?? The team that nationwide fans hate you because you are so good every year?? I don't want MU to always be viewed as "an underdog". That means you don't think you can be one of the top dogs in college BB. You will NEVER get to elite status if you play the "underdog" role every year, and thrive on it. The only way to become elite is to get to the point where you get a LITTLE arrogant, knowing that you are one of those teams viewed nationally that are expected to win almost every time you step on the court, and you are ranked in the top 10-20 almost regularly. To hear him say it's a lot harder for MU to win with a target on their backs?? I get where he's coming from, but at some point you have to embrace the "target on our backs" role, and it should no longer become "harder" to win. It's almost like saying, or admitting, you will never get to, or embrace being the best of the best, and you'd rather be one of those "feel good" stories. It's time to stop being "David" and thus thinking like you are "David", and start becoming, and thinking like "Goliath".

Someone feeling feisty after another Badger beat down? Afraid your Badger co workers are going to talk more trash tomorrow?

Grow a pair!

Either be a fan or keep being a whiny bitch. Bc you are a shitty fan with your present attitude.
    Last edited by kneelb4zerg; 01-08-2014 at 09:57 PM.

I see what you are saying Iceman, but I think a bunch of coaches play the underdog card, even the "top dogs." I think Calipari has played that card numerous times, even after winning a National Championship.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Someone feeling feisty after another Badger beat down? Afraid your Badger co workers are going to talk more trash tomorrow?

Grow a pair!

Either be a fan or keep being a whiny bitch. Bc you are a shitty fan with your present attitude.

You absolutely would know about being a bitch and being a "shitty" fan. You wear that crown. Congrats! You must be so proud!

Oh god, the "I know you are but what am I" card getting played? What is this, Scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post

Buzz's job isn't to please you with his message, but to motivate the team. Underdog tactics may work with one set of players...but may not work with another.

ngbbs4da9c8a6581db.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ziggysfryboy; 01-09-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast