Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunt article on Buzz

New Hunt article on Buzz

Article on Buzz and expectations at Marquette, talking about some fan reaction. Seems Buzz is getting a lot of suggestions on how to better coach the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golde...239193301.html

Luke Fischer is "a high school all-American"? That's just plain silly. He was a consensus Top 100 recruit. Was he selected for Micky D? No. Was he Top 20 or Top 25 in most rankings? No. Johnson is the highest-ranked recruit we've had in over 30 years. Was he a "high school all-American"? No.

Our last "high school all-Americans" were Doc and Kerry Trotter.

Luke Fischer was named to the 2013 Parade All-American team....

Who was our last Parade All-American? I wanna say it was McNeal?

I believe Diener was a Parade AA?

I wish people would just leave Buzz alone with the texting crap……why he gives his number to everybody is beyond me.

Buzz remembers when few people returned his calls or responded to his letters.

When Buzz was on his way up I think he would give his number to anyone who wanted it / would take it. Very generous with giving access to high school coaches too. As texting and such have explolded it is probably close to impossible to keep up. Remember, Buzz is the type of guy that still writes and mails hand written notes to people.

Like what UJ pointed out on the other board, the part about Buzz all came from a response to someone else' question in the media room after the DePaul game.

Buzz was comparing himself to Davante in that, in Davante's first three years he could score all the time because no one knew who he was or cared, he was just 'the heavy kid'. He said the same was true about MU. Nobody picked us to win anything. Now, Davante is a first team all Big East pick and MU is picked to win the league, so now Davante and MU are not unnoticed, they have people gunning for them. Said it is a lot harder for MU to win and for Davante to score with a huge target on our backs.

He went on to say that he gets more texts and phone calls right now, more per week than the first few years combined. He blames himself, saying that in the first few years, nobody cared who he was, nobody called or e-mailed or texted him, so he gave his number out a lot. "If there is ever anything I can do to help.....If I can be of any help". Now they are all calling, e-mailing and texting, to the point where it is beyond overwhelming. He said the most frustrating part is that they are all trying to help him fix his problems, telling him how he should be coaching the team. "So what, the last three years I was a great coach and now I need help because I somehow forgot how to coach?"

Frustrating.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I love who Buzz is, but the solution to his text/phone problems is really not that hard. Nobody expects him to reply to anything, yet he does every single time (that I've messaged him). I like to thank him from time to time, but I feel guilty doing it, because I know he'll take the time to respond. Does he not have a private phone and a public phone?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast