Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PG Re-Visited

PG Re-Visited

Murff makes an interesting point over at JD's board stating that MU could play w/o a true PG as he believes that PGs did not truly "exist" years ago with one guy bringing the ball up and then going into the offense with two 2Gs. Any thoughts?

That is what they are doing with Jamil at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    That is what they are doing with Jamil at the point.
    Sort of. But, I think Murff was suggesting using true 2Gs. With Jamil outside, we do lose his effectiveness inside.

All I know is the other team needs a reason to guard all the players on the floor. Not happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Murff makes an interesting point over at JD's board stating that MU could play w/o a true PG as he believes that PGs did not truly "exist" years ago with one guy bringing the ball up and then going into the offense with two 2Gs. Any thoughts?

Typical Murff. They didn't exist years ago so they aren't necessary now. This offense uses PGs. Can we turn a 2G into a PG? Sure...and I am sure that Buzz has contemplated that since he is using Jamil there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Didn't Buzz do this with Buycks and DJO? So, Mayo and JJJ? Or with Jake? Duane is a combo guard essentially as well if he were healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Didn't Buzz do this with Buycks and DJO? So, Mayo and JJJ? Or with Jake? Duane is a combo guard essentially as well if he were healthy.
    Yep, Buycks had limited PG skills at that time, but was a scorer. Worked out well. I would not suggest benching Derrick, rather reduce his minutes so Buzz can get more offensive potential and use Derrick more like he did last year. Cannot go on having our PG not shoot from the outside and unable to drive or pass inside because the defense is playing off him and sagging on the lane. Buzz simply needs to be more creative here. Bottom line is we can't keep losing because of this circumstance. Now Derrick is a very fine young man and well-like by his teammates, but he has some significant limitations as a full-time PG.

The other obvious alternative is to bring Jake off the bench and start Todd as the current starting guards do not mesh well together due to their skill sets. I think this is the better alternative. Now some will talk about Todd's checkered past. But, he really has done well this season other than the brush-up on the missed practice.
    Last edited by Nukem2; 12-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Murff is full of it. MU did have true point guards as far back as I can remember, and that's about 56 years.

Dick Nixon was a point guard. Jim Kollar was a point guard. Dean was a point guard 0 and that's going back 42-44 years. Lloyd was a point guard, as were Boylan, Worthen, Tony M., etc.

The back court of Doc and Wilson was pretty much two combo guards, as was the backcourt of Washington and Allie. Tony Smith had to play point his senior year because we had no one else. Was it Anglavar who had to play point one year?

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that we can play a line up without Derrick, even if Duane doesn't come back. I'm just refuting Murff's assertion that back in the good old days teams didn't play with a point guard. That is nonsense.

That being said, I don't want the ball in Mayo's hands whether he's alongside Jake or JJJ. And I don't want the ball in Jake's hands either. JJJ has good court vision, makes good decisions, and is a solid passer, but he's not ready to take on a fair share of the ball-handling duties.

But I am really tired of watching us play 4 on 5 on offense. And I'm tired of Davante not getting the ball in the post without being immediately doubled by Derrick's man.

The calling of more touch fouls on guard play makes it more possible to play without a natural point guard now.

Think of the Higgins coached Cincy teams, Louisville and others who played such physical defense at the guard position and you really needed a strong point, which was how Buzz had been recruiting for the point (Junior / Derrick).

If anything, the 5 positions were more rigidly defined back in the old days.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast