Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Derrick hurts us too much

Do you think the philosophy gives us the best chance to win a game?

I think Buzz is doing what he believes is best to win the game. Who should be playing more? The only argument I would have is JJJ, but since Thomas had a nice game and Mayo took the back up minutes, Buzz stuck with them.

Burton is brutal defensively. Derrick only played 25 minutes last night.

What exactly is the problem with the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think Buzz is doing what he believes is best to win the game. Who should be playing more? The only argument I would have is JJJ, but since Thomas had a nice game and Mayo took the back up minutes, Buzz stuck with them.

Burton is brutal defensively. Derrick only played 25 minutes last night.

What exactly is the problem with the rotation?
    Need to mix things up and use a different starting lineup. Not sure that changes minutes overall, but the slow starts each half can't continue.

Also, Buzz probably needs to give Derrick the green light to shoot some threes to try to loosen things up...?
    Last edited by Nukem2; 12-22-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Just based on the 7-5 record I think a change in the lineup is warranted. It's unfortunate that Buzz has such an allegiance to Derrick, Chris, and now seemingly jake. All three need to play a role on this team but I think their roles need to all be reduced to a degree. With UNM having two good bigs I think it's a bad game to question Chris' playing time but going forward I would like to see MU play smaller.

I think the only time Jake should play is when either mayo or JJJ are in with him. I think all 3 of his threes in the first half came when mayo or JJJ were on the floor last night. The backcourt of just Derrick and Jake is just too easy to guard. Next I think Chris' minutes should be cut. I just think the team would flow better without him on the floor for long stretches. The ball doesn't seem to move as well with him out there. Force Juan or jamil to guard the 5. Jamil did it when Otule and Gardner were out a few years ago and it worked good.

Gardner plays more than Otule, and Otule is always going to start for the tip. Derrick may not win any popularity contests, but he's our best point guard, the problem is he and Jake are a poor fit to play together. I fully agree that Jake and Derrick should be limited in terms of time spent on the court together, but both have a role to play on this team.

The real problem is that defensively, Jake and Derrick together is our best backcourt. And it all starts with defense...

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    Gardner plays more than Otule, and Otule is always going to start for the tip. Derrick may not win any popularity contests, but he's our best point guard, the problem is he and Jake are a poor fit to play together. I fully agree that Jake and Derrick should be limited in terms of time spent on the court together, but both have a role to play on this team.

The real problem is that defensively, Jake and Derrick together is our best backcourt. And it all starts with defense...
    We need Mayo in for his offense, but I also believe that Mayo could be a versatile defender that we stick on the other teams best backcourt scorer. I would have loved for Mayo to take a few possessions against Jahii Carson in the ASU game, but he was not available.

Agreed. I think Mayo is a better man defender than Thomas, but Thomas is excellent at making switches and playing as a defender in the system of the defense. All the more reason I'd like to see Todd start instead of Jake to break the Jake/Derrick tandem up. I'm sure there are reasons we aren't seeing this happen that I'm not privy to, maybe it's attitude, practice habits, or something else. No doubt there's room for improvement, just hope we see it sooner rather than later. I'd be very nervous going into Selection Sunday with fewer than 13 combined BE/BET wins or the tourney title.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post

Therein lies the rub. Need to out-score the other guy no matter how good the defense. Hopefully, Buzz can find the right blend in short order.

Holy Crapoly! Derrick has only three assists to Davante for the year - after 12 games! That is a ridiculous stat, especially given some of the low-level competition we've played.

Scenario: Derrick gets the ball on the wing. His man drops off him five or six feet, in essence fronting Davante while Davante's defender plays behind him or off his hip. No way to get the ball to DG.

You can see the scenario repeat itself possession after possession, but the stat really knocks the problem home.

We will not win many games in the Big East if our point guard can't get the ball to our most efficient, most productive offensive player.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123