Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlook

Outlook

I know I'll be heavily criticized for this opinion, however I just don't feel this is an NCAA tournament team. I know many will point to the progression of teams in previous years and say everything will be alright, and I hope that's true, however I really think this is the year we miss the tournament. We just don't have the backcourt talent to be a good team this year, and frankly I don't think they have the same potential as last years team to develop. Mayo cannot be counted on, Wilson can't shoot and is average athletically, Thomas is about as good as you can hope for from a former walk on, JaJuan has shown flashes but is still a freshman. I think Dawson will be good with some experience but just isn't ready yet. Our issue is that our players with real talent and potential in the back court are young and inexperienced, our experienced guys on the inside can't be as effective because defenses can just pack it in on them. I think it's going to be a long year.

I felt the same way in 2009-10. Barring complete collapse, I'm not willing to count one of Buzz's teams out until we see them floundering in February. Three of four losses away from home to likely tourney teams, and the other to a top-10 team that has yet to lose a game. There's a lot of basketball to be played. Each game we see different flashes. Sometimes it's Derrick showing he can drive and be assertive, sometimes it's Jamil showing what he can do when he takes over a game, sometimes it's the freshmen showing what they can contribute when given a chance. We need to see all of those things at the same time. If we do, this team will win and can still win a lot. If not, it'll be a long season.

Even if we make the tourney, Buzz himself has said numerous times that the tournament is all about guard play. Is anyone confident in how Derrick and Jake would line about against virtually anyone in the field? I'll never quit on this team, however, I just wonder if making our most talented players "earn" it hurts us this year in the long run. Did DJ, Jerel, or Wes "earn" it from the jump?

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    Even if we make the tourney, Buzz himself has said numerous times that the tournament is all about guard play. Is anyone confident in how Derrick and Jake would line about against virtually anyone in the field? I'll never quit on this team, however, I just wonder if making our most talented players "earn" it hurts us this year in the long run. Did DJ, Jerel, or Wes "earn" it from the jump?
    That was Crean. He did things differently. But I would tend to think they did.

And for this team to be successful we need Mayo and/or JJJ to emerge. Everybody knows that. Thomas should be the role player. And I am plenty confident in how Wilson stacks up against anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    I'm confident in Derrick. I know he takes a lot of flack, but he's shown he can drive, make the smart pass, and not turn the ball over. He's never going to evoke memories of Diener or James, but I honestly think he could end up being a better point guard for us than Cadougan was. While Junior had some incredibly good moments, how much did we fear Bad Junior showing up, especially against high-pressure teams like Louisville? I don't have the same fear with Derrick out there.

I don't have confidence in Jake, however. His play has convinced me he can be a useful player, and honestly probably give us a good 15-20 minutes when needed. He understands the defensive system and can hit a shot from time to time when he's open. But he's not a 25-30 minute guy at this level. I really hope Mayo gets his stuff together because we need him if we're going to succeed. JJJ and Jake off the bench would be fine.

I could see a Derrick/Todd backcourt being solid, with the possibility of being very good next year. That said, I'm not sure they'll both be here next year...but we've been saying that about Mayo for quite awhile now, so maybe he'll make it through his college career.

Derrick Wilson is the exact type of PG this team needs, but we need a productive Mayo next to him (and almost all of my optimism centers around that). A year from now, a healthy Duane Wilson could be better suited to run a likely much faster paced team, but Derrick Wilson will be our big minute PG this year. Buzz will replace Jake in the starting line-up if and when Mayo stays healthy and focused.

We are in serious danger of not making the tournament. Reality is--the Big East is not what it used to be and the opportunity for quality wins, let alone signature wins just won't be there like they were in the past. Just looking at teams that missed the tourney last year:
    --Tennessee had 9 top-100 wins (3 over NCAA teams) and missed the dance
    --Virginia had 8 top-100 wins (4 over NCAA teams) and missed
    --Kentucky had 7 top-100 wins (3 over NCAA teams) and missed

Looking at how things are projecting at this point, MU has their work cut out for them. Based on RPI Forecast we are projected for 7 top-100 wins with 4 of them being in the back half of the top 100.

Nobody doubts we have our work cut out for us. Have to start getting quality wins. Season won't be defined by what happened in November/December though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJesswein View Post
    We are in serious danger of not making the tournament. Reality is--the Big East is not what it used to be and the opportunity for quality wins, let alone signature wins just won't be there like they were in the past. Just looking at teams that missed the tourney last year:
    --Tennessee had 9 top-100 wins (3 over NCAA teams) and missed the dance
    --Virginia had 8 top-100 wins (4 over NCAA teams) and missed
    --Kentucky had 7 top-100 wins (3 over NCAA teams) and missed

Looking at how things are projecting at this point, MU has their work cut out for them. Based on RPI Forecast we are projected for 7 top-100 wins with 4 of them being in the back half of the top 100.
    All three of those teams all had bad losses, and the SEC was garbage outside of Florida last year. The Big East as a conference still ranks third overall in Conference RPI, which translates to at least four bids (I think anywhere from 4-6 depending on how teams like Xavier, Butler and St. John's do in December, and if Dunn can get semi-healthy for Providence). If we can beat New Mexico (and I like our chances if everyone is heathy and present), then we actually have a decent non-conference profile with two solid wins and no bad losses.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Nobody doubts we have our work cut out for us. Have to start getting quality wins. Season won't be defined by what happened in November/December though.
    Where will we get them though? I don't think reality of the new Big East has set in on this board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast