Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT- Congrats MU Volleyball!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Wisconsin is seeded, as well. That shocked me.
    Big Ten is probably the deepest conference in the country. Many top-notch programs. UW is a perrenially strong program. Think they had a down season last year, but rebounded nicely this year. My only issue with them is their general refusal to play Marquette since Marquette's resurgence. Would play them back in the day when MU sucked, but no more. I know Bond would play them anytime,anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Big Ten is probably the deepest conference in the country. Many top-notch programs. UW is a perrenially strong program. Think they had a down season last year, but rebounded nicely this year. My only issue with them is their general refusal to play Marquette since Marquette's resurgence. Would play them back in the day when MU sucked, but no more. I know Bond would play them anytime,anywhere.
    Actually, this is the first year Wisconsin had been in the NCAA's since '07. They were very good until '08. Had been mediocre since. Losing records in the Big 10 from '08 until this year. I would have classified them as perennially strong program in the early '00's, but not as of late.
    Last edited by MUMac; 12-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.

IWB, the #8 ranking is RPI I believe. Think they are rated something like #23 in the national rankings. They played a killer non-conference schedule, including 3 teams in the top 5(Penn St., Florida and USC). That is why their RPI has been so good all season.
    Could be, got it here: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Actually, this is the first year Wisconsin had been in the NCAA's since '07. They were very good until '08. Had been mediocre since. Losing records in the Big 10 from '08 until this year. I would have classified them as perennially strong program in the early '00's, but not as of late.
    They had a better than .500 record the last three years, though not by much. With the competition in the Big Ten during those seasons being sooo good, they were not in position to secure an NCAA bid as they had losing records in conference. That speaks volumes to the strength of the Big Ten, not so much to the mediocrity of Wisconsin. They were still very competitive out of conference and would still consider them to be a very solid program during those years. Hopefully Coach Shymansky can turn the tables to have MU become the "gold standard" in the state. He has a killer recruiting class coming in next season. By the way, Wisconsin swept UW-Milwaukee tonight, so they too have made the round of 32.

Congrats to the ladies! Huge accomplishment but keep it going! Bisky should be a All American, but the Big East rep will prevent her I fear. Will MU be able to keep Bond, for those in the know? Volleyball could be a big moneymaker under him eventually. Kudos to Steve and Danielle for seeing that vision...and to Bond for believing in it. Beat the Illini. We Believe!

Sounds like a mission for Bud Haidet and Bruce Pearl.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

They had a better than .500 record the last three years, though not by much. With the competition in the Big Ten during those seasons being sooo good, they were not in position to secure an NCAA bid as they had losing records in conference. That speaks volumes to the strength of the Big Ten, not so much to the mediocrity of Wisconsin. They were still very competitive out of conference and would still consider them to be a very solid program during those years. Hopefully Coach Shymansky can turn the tables to have MU become the "gold standard" in the state. He has a killer recruiting class coming in next season. By the way, Wisconsin swept UW-Milwaukee tonight, so they too have made the round of 32.
    Living in Madison and watching the program, I do not agree with you at all. UW had well below .500 record in the Big 10. They were not just missing out, they were not close. Sorry, but they had been mediocre. Yes, the Big 10 was powerful, UW was not. It at one time was a big show in town. It went downhill and support dwindled along with the play. There was a reason why Pete Waite resigned, you know. It wasn't because they had a perennial strong program under his latter years ...

We will have to agree to disagree. But back to the thread, congrats to the ladies. Quite a fall for MU athletics!
    Last edited by MUMac; 12-07-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysfryboy View Post
    Sounds like a mission for Bud Haidet and Bruce Pearl.
    Except Bond means it!

Living in Madison and watching the program, I do not agree with you at all. UW had well below .500 record in the Big 10. They were not just missing out, they were not close. Sorry, but they had been mediocre. Yes, the Big 10 was powerful, UW was not. It at one time was a big show in town. It went downhill and support dwindled along with the play. There was a reason why Pete Waite resigned, you know. It wasn't because they had a perennial strong program under his latter years ...

We will have to agree to disagree. But back to the thread, congrats to the ladies. Quite a fall for MU athletics!
    Well, we will definitely have to agree to disagree as my definition of a strong program is even during the "down" years you are finishing above .500 for the season even though you are playing in the best conference in the land.

Good luck to the ladies today as they play a tough Illini squad on their home court. I really think Bond has his team ready to play. #seasonofchampions.

Bond S. really has the program on the upswing. I watched about a game and a half last night and they really stayed strong when Louisville made some runs, especially in the second game after Louisville took a 22-20 lead. Autumn Bailey's serving put Louisville in real defense mode and MU took advantage to take the next 5 points and the game 25-22. Bailey is really, really good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast