Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona St. Doing us no favors

Arizona St. Doing us no favors

They are struggling against Miami who is way down this year... I was kind of hoping they'd look good so our loss would look better.

We need to stop depending on others to "do us favors". Time do do it ourselves.

VS

We go through this nonsense every year. ASU is a quality team that beat us on their home court. It is a far cry from a bad loss. Their subsequent performance doesn't change that. We don't need to rely on favors from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    We need to stop depending on others to "do us favors". Time do do it ourselves.

VS

This +1000%. Please people get this idea out of your head that this loss or that loss looks better than this loss or that loss. In all my years of playing sports and watching sports, I do not EVER remember a "good" or "pretty" loss. There is NO such thing!! A loss by any other name is still a LOSS.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    This +1000%. Please people get this idea out of your head that this loss or that loss looks better than this loss or that loss. In all my years of playing sports and watching sports, I do not EVER remember a "good" or "pretty" loss. There is NO such thing!! A loss by any other name is still a LOSS.
    Again, no one disputes that losing is bad. No...one...

You are absolutely correct. The only difference I have seen is some people can handle a loss with class and some cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    You are absolutely correct. The only difference I have seen is some people can handle a loss with class and some cannot.
    Leave it to you to make it about whether or not someone handles a loss with class. When that isn't even close to the point. Maybe to you. The point is, I see this CONSTANTLY, people talking about this team winning so "our loss looks better to them". To me, that's trying to justify or being "accepting" of a loss. It's trying to spin it that it was a "better, pretty, or not bad" of a loss. Those things do NOT exist. If you are ANY kind of a competitor, you never under any circumstances accept a loss, or somehow try to make it seem better. You get over it in time, and put it behind you, but you never accept it as being ok. Anyone that has ever played sports, or been around sports should know....there is no such thing as an "ugly" win, and there is no such thing as a "pretty or good" loss. That's the point here, yet people always try to spin it somehow. I just wish they wouldn't do that. It's fictional.

Leave it to you to make it about whether or not someone handles a loss with class. When that isn't even close to the point. Maybe to you. The point is, I see this CONSTANTLY, people talking about this team winning so "our loss looks better to them". To me, that's trying to justify or being "accepting" of a loss. It's trying to spin it that it was a "better, pretty, or not bad" of a loss. Those things do NOT exist. If you are ANY kind of a competitor, you never under any circumstances accept a loss, or somehow try to make it seem better. You get over it in time, and put it behind you, but you never accept it as being ok. Anyone that has ever played sports, or been around sports should know....there is no such thing as an "ugly" win, and there is no such thing as a "pretty or good" loss. That's the point here, yet people always try to spin it somehow. I just wish they wouldn't do that. It's fictional.

I am fairly certain that Mac knows just as much or more about competing and winning than you do.

You simply lack the ability to understand what people are saying. No one says losing is good. People do say that building blocks for the future can come out of a loss. That doesn't make the loss less of a loss....and it doesn't make it good...that's it.

Not all losses are the same in the NCAA also... A lose against Grambling is much worse than a loss against Ohio St. ... Would you like to win both? Absolutely. But if you were to lose both they would absolutely be viewed differently come selection Sunday. That's why it benefits MU if Arizona St. Has a good season and finishes in the RPI top 50... If they turn out to be a Pac10 bottom feeder and fall below RPI 100 it absolutely does us no good... Now will that one loss determine our whole season? No, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Let's hope we come away with a good win tonight and we can discuss good wins as oppose to losses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast