Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: MU - New Hampshire Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    I remember going bananas when faced with the Maurice Acker-David Cubillan setup and wondering if we could win any conference games with them. I think Mayo-Jake-Jamil will gel and we'll be fine. Hell, we scored 114 points two weeks ago. It's...gonna...be...fine.
    I hope you are right! I came home from that game completely alarmed though, as I saw definite deficiencies against a terrible team. See thread hard to complain but I will!

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I hope you are right! I came home from that game completely alarmed though, as I saw definite deficiencies against a terrible team. See thread hard to complain but I will!
    I hear you, but I saw Jake playing well, not afraid to shoot, and his teammates passing to him. Mayo's ability to elevate in the lane is like Dominic with a better shot. They just need o recover from losing so much of last year's scoring

After the first 10 minutes, the effort was mostly lacking. And Davante is playing like an idi

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    After the first 10 minutes, the effort was mostly lacking. And Davante is playing like an idi
    Davante is playing like an idiot. At the B&G luncheon, Buzz said that Davante had 'senioritis'. I see exactly what he meant by that.

This team isn't good. They're not terribly skilled, and right now, the effort is subpar. Bad combination.

The outside shooting isn't an aberration. They are a poor shooting team, which makes them easy to defend. And when you put them on the line, they miss.

You can't say "they'll be fine" because of past years. Each year is a new house, as Buzz likes to say. And this house has enough bricks for an addition.

We sound like Badger fans. They always have a bad loss or two early (two straight years to us), fans start writing the obituary, then somehow they manage to get better and make the tourney. When it happens year after year, at some point, you have to be patient. If we still suck in January, then I'll panic.

The offense has not been good, mostly because of taking too many perimeter shots without ever getting it inside. This team will never be Creighton on offense, but there is no Novak that has a green light to take the first semi-open look. If the team takes an open perimeter look, it should be because the ball has already made it in inside and passed back out. However, even with personnel that has yet to mesh on offense, I trust Buzz to get that together. His offenses here have finished in the top 25 of offensive efficiency in four of his five seasons as head coach. The one year the offense did not finish in the top 25, the defense ranked ninth overall in defensive efficiency and we made the Sweet 16 and won 14 Big East games.

I do not think effort is the problem, even though New Hampshire beat us to too many 50-50 balls. We have only given up 179 points in 217 possessions going into tonight, and gave up 53 points in a game around 65 possessions tonight. With our size, we should be an excellent defensive team, and have been that so far. That alone will keep us in most every game until the offense comes together. If and when the offense gets going like it usually does under Buzz, we will be as good a I believe we can be (and that bandwagon is getting awfully lonely). It may not be pretty, and looks exactly like the Big Ten basketball we have always had made fun of, but the D needs to be our constant until we find an offensive rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Davante is playing like an idiot. At the B&G luncheon, Buzz said that Davante had 'senioritis'. I see exactly what he meant by that.
    Did you see Davante near midcourt last night on an inbounds play just standing there, 40 feet from the baseline, right next to the sideline, fending off a smaller defender with one hand while asking for the ball with the other hand. Never moved an inch. We had to call a time out because we couldn't get the ball in. And then Davante goes and bitches to whoever it was that was inbounding the ball, like it was that guys fault. I told my wife I think I'm gonna get tossed, cuz I'm going out there to hit Davante upside his head! He better get his sh!!!t together or this is going to be a long season.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789