Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think we should temper expectations based on our over-hyping of freshmen previously.
    Yet you think that John Dawson may be the answer this year? Duane is a better player than Dawson. I don't discount the over-hyping of new players, but some players can come in as Freshmen and live up to the hype. From what I have seen of Duane, he is capable. If he can regain health and make up for lost time, he is an infinitely better prospect at the pg position compared to Derrick and brings an entirely different dimension to the team than Derrick.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Yet you think that John Dawson may be the answer this year? Duane is a better player than Dawson. I don't discount the over-hyping of new players, but some players can come in as Freshmen and live up to the hype. From what I have seen of Duane, he is capable. If he can regain health and make up for lost time, he is an infinitely better prospect at the pg position compared to Derrick and brings an entirely different dimension to the team than Derrick.

I think the chance of significant input from Dawson >>>>> change of significant input from Duane. Mostly due to not missing time due to injury. But I don't think we'll get significant contributions from either.

I think the chance of significant input from Dawson >>>>> change of significant input from Duane. Mostly due to not missing time due to injury. But I don't think we'll get significant contributions from either.
    I think Derrick Wilson plays the most minutes at PG all year long, likely playing 30+ minutes a night on most night. However, I have to disagree with you that, as I think Duane Wilson's ability to hit shots and provide offense will provide a better alternative to what Dawson can provide (he's too similar to Wilson on the whole, but not nearly as good on D). I figure that we will see Derrick Wilson/Mayo and Duane Wilson/Thomas backcourt duos with a scorer and veteran combos. If Johnson can progress on the defensive end, and Jake cannot hit open shots, then he may usurp Jake's minutes.

It's all speculation, so here it goes.

Starting with the New Hampshire game, I think you'll start seeing Buzz change the playing rotations a bit. Dawson will see more early minutes at point and Mayo may start. JuJuan Johnson will play more as well. There's most often a different dynamic coming off the bench as opposed to starting and I think it's time to see what Todd can do as a starter.

If Buzz follows the Packers as much as I think he does, he's seen what happens when you lose a quarterback without preparation for the backup, so the worst thing he can do is give Derrick Wilson 35 plus minutes when he's an injury away from throwing a little used freshman into the game and that's why I see Dawson's minutes increase as there's no substitute for game time. I would also like to see what John can do with Davante, Jamil, Todd and someone like Steve Taylor on a regular basis.

As far as Duane Wilson, we'll have to see what happens when he gets back and as to whether he's better as a point guard as John Dawson, I'll let others comment.

I can say with 100% positivity that you do not know that. Duane hasn't done anything in game yet. He dominated against D3 competition with a 5-star big man drawing most of the defensive attention. How many games of Dawson's did you catch in high school? I hope DuWil turns out to be a stud, but I hoped the same for EWill and Mellow. Maybe Wilson will be better, but there's every chance he will be as disappointing or worse. Until he actually proves something at this level, he hasn't proven anything. Dawson has shown flashes of promise. That's more than we can say Duane.

Have probably seen Duane play about a dozen times and can honestly agree with this. I doubt he is ready to run the team at point this year. He just doesn't seem strong enough with the ball yet and it will take him a while to get adjusted especially coming off injury. I could see Duane playing alongside Derrick as a scoring guard but Duane won't be taking many of Derrick's minutes this year I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I can say with 100% positivity that you do not know that. Duane hasn't done anything in game yet. He dominated against D3 competition with a 5-star big man drawing most of the defensive attention. How many games of Dawson's did you catch in high school? I hope DuWil turns out to be a stud, but I hoped the same for EWill and Mellow. Maybe Wilson will be better, but there's every chance he will be as disappointing or worse. Until he actually proves something at this level, he hasn't proven anything. Dawson has shown flashes of promise. That's more than we can say Duane.
    If you followed the Dominican team the last couple of years you would know that outside of their conference, they played mostly a Division I schedule. And some very high Division I teams at that. I saw them play Vincent and Germantown, both games D Stone was a non-factor. Duane dominated against Vincent and played very well against Germantown but did not have the support around him to win those games. Have seen him play several more times, probably close to a dozen. Had never seen Dawson play in high school(pretty obvious, and also pretty obvious that you are trying to call me out with that question), but saw as many clips on the internet as possible. I believe Duane would have shown just as many flashes of promise as Dawson had he played against Southern and Grambling. I know ratings aren't 100% accurate, but they tend to right the majority of the time. So Duane has that going for him. Those flashes Dawson has shown don't really prove anything yet because of the competition. Had they, Buzz probably would have given John some minutes vs tOSU. Not at all taking anything away from Dawson by saying DuWilson is better. Still feel comfortable saying Wilson is the better player.

If you followed the Dominican team the last couple of years you would know that outside of their conference, they played mostly a Division I schedule. And some very high Division I teams at that. I saw them play Vincent and Germantown, both games D Stone was a non-factor. Duane dominated against Vincent and played very well against Germantown but did not have the support around him to win those games. Have seen him play several more times, probably close to a dozen. Had never seen Dawson play in high school(pretty obvious, and also pretty obvious that you are trying to call me out with that question), but saw as many clips on the internet as possible. I believe Duane would have shown just as many flashes of promise as Dawson had he played against Southern and Grambling. I know ratings aren't 100% accurate, but they tend to right the majority of the time. So Duane has that going for him. Those flashes Dawson has shown don't really prove anything yet because of the competition. Had they, Buzz probably would have given John some minutes vs tOSU. Not at all taking anything away from Dawson by saying DuWilson is better. Still feel comfortable saying Wilson is the better player.
    Just walking the ball up the court and popping a three once in a while is a dimension it does not appear we have. I know Duane has that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    Just walking the ball up the court and popping a three once in a while is a dimension it does not appear we have. I know Duane has that ability.
    Buzz never wants his team to do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Buzz never wants his team to do that anyway.
    He would if someone was sagging off the player and he made the shot on a consistent basis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast