Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    He would if someone was sagging off the player and he made the shot on a consistent basis.
    Yeah, because Buzz totally wants his point guard to dribble up and launch a three without getting a paint touch or forcing rotation. There are higher percentage shots to be had.

Confused

How many teams have brought in a top 5 (in some cases) recruiting class and only use one of those recruits for a total of six minutes? This is my one frustration with Buzz. Always going to favor upper classmen, but IMO they aren't always going to be your best option. This is one of those times. Also wonder if this isn't a major reason why we have a defection or more each year. You go thru a recruiting process painting a picture for these kids, they come in, and see no time. JJJ was reported to be one of the hardest workers early in camp and was "getting it". Then he gets a DNP???? What changed? These were the guys Buzz always said "earned" minutes. Im confused. But admittedly, I don't have a view from the inside. Gonna say that this current lineup will make for a very long season.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Yeah, because Buzz totally wants his point guard to dribble up and launch a three without getting a paint touch or forcing rotation. There are higher percentage shots to be had.
    That's my point. That is how bad I think Derrick is! Duane would be more useful to the team walking the ball up the court and popping a three on an occasional basis. Believe me, I hope I am wrong. I love MU hoops. With that said, I am on record on Dodd's football board about five weeks ago saying that the Packers Defense sucked, and the only thing that was making them look remotely effective was the newly found ball control offense. Everyone thought I was nuts. Now five weeks later they are all wondering what happenned to the defense. I will gladly come here and take all the crow you can dish out if I am wrong about Derrick! Believe me, for the sake of MU Hoops, I want to be wrong.
    Last edited by mufansince72; 11-17-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I hope you guys are okay with disappointment, because everyone is looking at Duane as a savior and the odds are he'll fall very, very, very far short of that this season. Let's at least let him get on the court before we paint him as the next great MU point guard.

I'm not looking at him as a savior. He probably is a better 2 guard than a point guard at this point. I would trade a couple more turnovers as I believe having an offensive threat at point guard creates opportunities for others, because the defense would have to be more honest.

I don't think he'd be nearly the offensive threat you think he'd be. Jajuan is a more heralded offensive player and hasn't made a major impact. And you can say all you want about not getting a chance against Ohio State, he was unimpressive against Southern and despite his offense against Grambling has been a sieve on defense, which is where minutes on Buzz's teams are earned. Maybe I'm just a cynic, but it seems like everyone is expecting the return of Duane to be the answer to this team's offensive woes whereas the likely reality is that he will just be another freshman that gets limited minutes while making a minimal impact.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I don't think he'd be nearly the offensive threat you think he'd be. Jajuan is a more heralded offensive player and hasn't made a major impact. And you can say all you want about not getting a chance against Ohio State, he was unimpressive against Southern and despite his offense against Grambling has been a sieve on defense, which is where minutes on Buzz's teams are earned. Maybe I'm just a cynic, but it seems like everyone is expecting the return of Duane to be the answer to this team's offensive woes whereas the likely reality is that he will just be another freshman that gets limited minutes while making a minimal impact.
    You may be right. The best thing about freshman is they become sophmores. With that said, I think there is much more upside playing now and getting experience, and improving, than sitting on the pine watching players in front of them who are not as talented.

Quote Originally Posted by JDubMU View Post
    How many teams have brought in a top 5 (in some cases) recruiting class and only use one of those recruits for a total of six minutes? This is my one frustration with Buzz. Always going to favor upper classmen, but IMO they aren't always going to be your best option. This is one of those times. Also wonder if this isn't a major reason why we have a defection or more each year. You go thru a recruiting process painting a picture for these kids, they come in, and see no time. JJJ was reported to be one of the hardest workers early in camp and was "getting it". Then he gets a DNP???? What changed? These were the guys Buzz always said "earned" minutes. Im confused. But admittedly, I don't have a view from the inside. Gonna say that this current lineup will make for a very long season.
    JJJ could not stay in front of his man against Grambling. Ohio State's guards are just a hair more talented, and JJJ would have been destroyed defensively (and the team defense that was pretty good on the whole and very good most of the game would have greatly suffered).

And seriously, Dawson versus Aaron Craft? Do our fans want to see Dawson's confidence shredded and wake up with nightmares of Craft picking his pocket.

Here is the picture Buzz can and does sell: Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, Dwight Buycks, and Jae Crowder currently in the NBA thanks to his tutelage, Lazar Hayward a first round pick and millionaire thanks to Buzz, and three more of his guys in NBA camps this fall (DJ-O, Blue, Lockett), with two being last minute cuts (Blue and Lockett). Butler, Buycks, and Crowder all had varying minutes their first year, with only Crowder getting more then half the available minutes. Then they received the majority of minutes available once they become comfortable with Buzz's system at both ends of the floor. You can take the Jameel McKay route, and Buzz will not get in your way if you want the easy way out. However, your long term personal and professional development will be greatly aided by trusting in Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    You may be right. The best thing about freshman is they become sophmores. With that said, I think there is much more upside playing now and getting experience, and improving, than sitting on the pine watching players in front of them who are not as talented.
    One thing I like about Buzz is that he looks at things in a season-long increment. Losses in November and December lead to wins in February and March. The goal is always going to be to be as good as possible come March, which means we aren't likely going to see freshmen playing to benefit their sophomore and junior year. Each season is about that season.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    One thing I like about Buzz is that he looks at things in a season-long increment. Losses in November and December lead to wins in February and March. The goal is always going to be to be as good as possible come March, which means we aren't likely going to see freshmen playing to benefit their sophomore and junior year. Each season is about that season.
    Yes, but I meant these freshman will be better at the end of the season than the less talented players in front of them if allowed to develop now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast