Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Offensive Issues Start With Leadership at the Point

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    So anything less than 40 minutes of flawless defense isn't good enough? Maybe you missed where I said "Don't be ridiculous". It was a great 40 minute defensive effort. Ohio State made adjustments at halftime and it led to some runouts. Our defense corrected and kept us with a fighting chance if the shots had started to fall. It got away at the end because they never did. At some point, a team with the quality and experience of Ohio State is going to make a run. That's why you look at the overall defensive performance, not a short string of possessions.
    No, it was a 34 minute defensive output.

Love ya Brew, but you guys are all out to lunch on the topic of Dwill. I came away shocked at how bad our starting backcourt was after the first two games. I posted such. See thread "Hard to Complain, but I will". Derrick Wilson is not a D1 quality starting point guard. He is good defensively in short doses, like when he was backing up Junior. He does not see the floor, is late on passes, is not overly good at feeding the post, pulls back in transition when easy baskets are there, is not an offensive threat,etc. Just terrible! Those are my feelings. I have confidence in Buzz, that he will get every last ounce out of this team. Unfortunately I don't believe there is much to get out of Dwill. Kid is probably a nice guy, but does not have the talent to be on the floor for anything more than spot duty. Rip away!

No team is perfect for 40 minutes. They played defense well enough to win.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    No, it was a 34 minute defensive output.

Love ya Brew, but you guys are all out to lunch on the topic of Dwill. I came away shocked at how bad our starting backcourt was after the first two games. I posted such. See thread "Hard to Complain, but I will". Derrick Wilson is not a D1 quality starting point guard. He is good defensively in short doses, like when he was backing up Junior. He does not see the floor, is late on passes, is not overly good at feeding the post, pulls back in transition when easy baskets are there, is not an offensive threat,etc. Just terrible! Those are my feelings. I have confidence in Buzz, that he will get every last ounce out of this team. Unfortunately I don't believe there is much to get out of Dwill. Kid is probably a nice guy, but does not have the talent to be on the floor for anything more than spot duty. Rip away!
    The main problem with your analysis is that you are basing it on three whole games and I will leave it at that. Heck you had him dead and buried after one game.

WOW, '72 that is bizarre. They held a top 10 team with 4 returning starters from an Elite 8 appearance to 52 points. That should be good enough to win. The offensive threats for MU did not have a good game yesterday. And you blame DWill? WOW. Really bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    WOW, '72 that is bizarre. They held a top 10 team with 4 returning starters from an Elite 8 appearance to 52 points. That should be good enough to win. The offensive threats for MU did not have a good game yesterday. And you blame DWill? WOW. Really bizarre.
    I saw enough of the point guard skills the last two years. First two games just cemented my thoughts. Good defensive player in four minute spurts. Lousy point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I saw enough of the point guard skills the last two years. First two games just cemented my thoughts. Good defensive player in four minute spurts. Lousy point guard.
    No, you wrote him off before the year started and haven't watched him objectively for one single minute. If you had, you'd realize that he's been more of a creator this year than ever before and while he can get the ball to Jamil, Mayo, and Jake, he can't shoot it for them (which admittedly, is probably a good thing). This team's struggles on offense go way beyond Derrick Wilson. But I suppose if you decided to scapegoat him over the past two years, you'll never see that.

No, you wrote him off before the year started and haven't watched him objectively for one single minute. If you had, you'd realize that he's been more of a creator this year than ever before and while he can get the ball to Jamil, Mayo, and Jake, he can't shoot it for them (which admittedly, is probably a good thing). This team's struggles on offense go way beyond Derrick Wilson. But I suppose if you decided to scapegoat him over the past two years, you'll never see that.
    I guess we will see Brew. It all starts with the point guard! I want to be wrong! I just don't think so. I think putting an inexperienced freshman out there right now is the least of two evils.

Maybe we can put Jake at point guard. Then we can get one of them off the floor, and only have one guard who can't shoot on the floor at the same time. I need some teal!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123