Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Offensive Issues Start With Leadership at the Point

Major Offensive Issues Start With Leadership at the Point

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see many conventional offensive sets with a team that now has more of a traditional line-up. I also see no offensive identity.

The problems on offense are a heck of a lot more than just needing to find a go to guy.

I see a lot of players out of position on offense, poor spacing, no paint touches and/or kick outs, limited passes from the wing into the post (when the ball should have been pounded down there), no ball rotation, and only 1 big posting up in or near the paint.

Frankly, I think there are players that don't understand theirs offensive roles and as a result it never allows Marquette to execute an offensive strategy.

Most of all it is the guard play. I see poor leadership from the point guard in establishing the offensive sets and getting players into proper position and I see our starting #2 being overmatched offensively. As a result, the #3 never benefits from those two positions like he should.

Also, when Devante is not in the game with O'tule, I almost never see the #4 in the blocks our near the hoop. I'm not saying the #4 always has to be there because the game has changed, but that is where part of the confusion lies. The team starts the game with what looks like contemporary offensive sets. Then, with only 2:00 minutes gone in the game, Devante comes in and the offense becomes more traditional. Add that up with poor leadership from the point and an overmatched #2 and you have not only a team with a lack of identity on offense, but right now its kind of wild-wild west a.k.a. scrambled eggs.

The point guard needs to get his teammates to understand what they are doing on offense based on the personnel in the game. Then, he needs to demand the acquiescence of his teammates in running the appropriate sets and strategy. That would be a huge improvement.

So, this problem on offense needs to be corrected at the point first. More leadership.

Next, the current starting #2 should not be starting. He is a role player. A player who can stretch the other teams defense when needed.

Then its the basics that are needed. Spacing, ball rotation, paint touches, hitting the post, etc.

Finally, understanding the offensive strategy at the given moment by the entire team will do wonders.

We don't need a "go to guy" we need a leader.

Well stated!

We cannot play with a guard who cannot score and we cannot play with 2 guards who cannot score. It is a glaring weakness on display today on national television. Time to make some major changes. Live with the mistakes to get some offense on the floor. Frosh must play.

I was disappointed with how poorly Jake was playing and the lack of offensive flow that JuJuan and John did not see the floor. Puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    We cannot play with a guard who cannot score and we cannot play with 2 guards who cannot score. It is a glaring weakness on display today on national television. Time to make some major changes. Live with the mistakes to get some offense on the floor. Frosh must play.
    You guys were all hammerring on me after the first two games of the season, when I said point guard play was going to be a major issue. Unfortunately it reared it's ugly head today.

Jake...Todd...Jamil. Our best outside shooters.

4-31. Can't open driving lanes without an outside threat.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I was disappointed with how poorly Jake was playing and the lack of offensive flow that JuJuan and John did not see the floor. Puzzling.
    Yes, buzz does need to get the frosh into the flow even if for limited stretches. Results can't be much worse than they were today. The starting guards lack length and athleticism and do not shoot/score well at all.

JuJuan has been pretty bad on the defensive end against lesser opponents. He is not ready for a game like this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Jake...Todd...Jamil. Our best outside shooters.

4-31. Can't open driving lanes without an outside threat.
    You're right. But why do you think that is? I don't think I saw an outside shot from the weak side after ball rotation the entire game by Marquette. I saw it just a few times from Ohio State. Most, if not all of the "rhythm shots" you refer to, were taken off the dribble, or a single pass from the wing (not a kick-out). If Marquette's shots were not challenged, there was still a defender within close proximity of the shot. At minimum today, we needed an inside out mentality. That is, pound the ball to O'tule and Gardner until the defense sags and then Todd, Jamil, and Jake could take their shots. If the defense comes back out to the perimeter, pound it back in. I know you know this. But what was lacking, was the establishment of an identity. That is, establish something first....which should have been pounding the ball inside from the beginning. Devante should be starting and so should O'tule. Thomas needs to be a role player, which he may be well suited for.

I would put Mayo at the #2, Wilson at the #3, Devante at the #4, Otule at the 5, and the appropriate Wilson at the point when the other is healthy. Who that is depends on leadership.

I know Buzz needs to be careful with the two big men not getting in foul trouble or tired and that is why Devante sits first right now, but at least that line-up above could get you some easy buckets to start the game, help establish an identity, presence, and some confidence, some flow and rhythm, and then you could take one of the big men out and do the "switchables" thing for awhile with one big. Just my thoughts right now and I'm no expert.
    Last edited by DavidBoone2inchesTaller; 11-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Yep, need to get more inside-out action to set up perimeter shots. At the B&G luncheon, Buzz said MU was going to use more stuff outside the lane to set up shots with the lack of penetrators. Looked that way today, so most perimeter shots were not in rhythm. Need paint touches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast