Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gameday

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Agree completely. I think they can be a top 25 team, but are not even close right now.
    We were not against Florida last year either. We will take another 2-3 non-conference losses, Buzz will have them ready by Big East play, and we will be a very tough out come March. We will succcessfully overcome the loss of Vander later in the year, but OSU's veteran experience carried the day. This Marquette team does not have that level to raise their game yet. Buzz will get them there.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    I didn't pay attention to the refs today. Let's be honest, their calls didn't matter.

The only real terrible call was calling the charge on Davante...after no-calling the tOSU charge into Jamil. But outside of that I thought they were pretty consistent. I think a lot of people who are at the BC don't get the benefit of replay which shows that the refs are right a vast majority of the time.

I didn't pay attention to the refs today. Let's be honest, their calls didn't matter.
    Never said they did. It was, though a poorly officiated game. It did not impact the outcome, but that crew was very inconsistent in the way they called the game.

I yelled at Burr that he officiated as badly as we shot. He had a horrible game, especially in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The only real terrible call was calling the charge on Davante...after no-calling the tOSU charge into Jamil. But outside of that I thought they were pretty consistent. I think a lot of people who are at the BC don't get the benefit of replay which shows that the refs are right a vast majority of the time.
    Jamil's second foul was huge. Very poor call with all the contract they allowed on penetration and drives. Very inconsistent with the body calls down low. I thought they were worse in the first half than second.

Dawson gets rid of the ball and gets other players the ball in much better position than anyone else on the team. Not even close. Use him.

Based on 26 minutes against SWAC opponents? I agree he should be used, but again let's not pretend that it's going to be significantly different.

Jamil was 1-9....Jake was 0-7....Todd was 3-15.

PLENTY of those were open looks in rhythm. It was a game that looked very similar to the E8 Syracuse game. If you can't shoot from the outside, then they are going to pack it in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Based on 26 minutes against SWAC opponents? I agree he should be used, but again let's not pretend that it's going to be significantly different.

Jamil was 1-9....Jake was 0-7....Todd was 3-15.

PLENTY of those were open looks in rhythm. It was a game that looked very similar to the E8 Syracuse game. If you can't shoot from the outside, then they are going to pack it in.
    Exactly right. My biggest issue was all the open shots from range we missed. If Mayo, Jamil, and Jake hit their shots yesterday, I think many people would be praising Derrick. The problem was they missed their shots, so Derrick doesn't get credit for creating since there weren't assists to back it up. And as they missed, someone had to take shots, so Derrick started throwing them up, which isn't his strong suit. He put some guys in position to score and they didn't do it, he had a couple nice drives, I really think he's doing okay.

The second half was the type of game that will make DeWil look bad. OSU closed down passing lanes and packed the inside since no one on Marquette could hit a shot. With the lanes closed, Derrick either had to force bad passes or throw up bad shots. He got no help at all. Cadougan, James, Diener...none of them would have looked good in a situation like yesterday.

I think Derrick would be servicable, with a good 2 guard next to him. I'm not buying the Vander at the point argument. I do think Vander would have a field day this year with the new rules with that first quick step. He would be living at the line.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011