Thread: Weekend at NIU

Weekend at NIU

Unfortunately work is forcing me to miss the entire tournament. I hope to watch Saturday's game on the computer/my home TV.

So anyone else somewhat annoyed by JO so far this season. I am not at all impressed with how he has played so far. Is it just me or does he seem like he doesn't fit well with this group of guys? I just have these weird feeling like "one of these things is not like the others" when I watch him (or listen in tonights case). I might be completely off base, but one thing is for sure he needs to play better or at least less selfishly.
    Last edited by lutzow10; 11-16-2013 at 12:59 AM.

I managed to get to the game last night, and it was a little frustrating that the Panthers could not close out this game. From what I saw, I think Aaron saved us. Tiby had a couple energy moments but looked a little sluggish much of the night. Kelm, Panoske and Moore did some nice rebounding, but a lot of shots were missed up close. This team needs to learn how to put a team away.
    I hope Jeter starts playing some other people in the rotation, because after 3 games in 3 days, the guys are going to be struggling with DePaul on Tuesday.

I was at the JMU and NIU games. First off, it's sad to see such a great facility as the NIU Convo Center with nobody in it. What I wouldn't give for us to have a place like that on or near our campus.

As for the team, I said this after the Loyola game and they have proved me right ever since. They fight. It's a totally different animal than last year. Of course, it helps that they are bigger, deeper and more talented. Matt Tiby is the emotional heart and soul, but he's not alone by a longshot. First of all, Steve McWhorter has been tremendous for us. Kyle Kelm is playing the best basketball of his career. JO is in a much better role for the team and for himself with Steve at the point.

Yesterday's win was perfect for us, as the early run by NIU and our early foul trouble gave everybody on the bench an opportunity, and to a man they produced. A huge confidence builder. The short minutes by some of our starters will also help on Tuesday, and hopefully Bobo will be ready to go too.

Last year we had 6 wins against D1 opponents. This year we have 4 after 5 games. There's a long way to go, but I think this is going to be one of the most enjoyable teams to watch in Rob Jeter's tenure.

I listened to all three games on the radio. Was it a lucky game for Malcolm Moore. Can we see more of that from him?

Without any real experience with him I did not expect Malcolm to score 15 points this year. I obviously underestimated him. I don't think we can count on frequent double digit outbursts but he showed he can give us some quality minutes in the right circumstances.

Matt Tiby only had 3 points and 6 rebounds, but that was in 16 minutes. And Matt is fully engaged even when he's on the bench. It wasn't a "bad" game at all by Matt, he was just limited by foul trouble.

JJ also had a really nice bounce back game from a difficult game (for him) on Saturday. His shots from three were off but he was a monster defensively in the paint. After one sequence where he skied twice to swat shots away NIU altered just about every shot they had in the paint the next six or seven minutes. He was really in their heads.

Austin Arians just produces. His work along the baseline alley Saturday night against JMU's zone was just clinical.

Evan had a big three, I hope it's a sign for good things to come.