Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dave Begal tears into Milwaukee Panther basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Wilde never did? Wrong.

On ESPN radio in Milwaukee the day after Demovsky's Wardle article Wilde was on with Drew Olson. Wilde went off on Wardle, saying things like, "He should never be allowed to coach again"......"He shouldn't even be allowed to coach a YMCA team"....."I don't want him anywhere near my kids".... and so on and so on. It was clear listening to it, that Olson pretty much did the old 'walk back out of the room backwards' because it was that uncomfortable.

OK...I thought you meant "covering" and not simply "talking about"...even though that is clearly what you said.

And Wilde came to those opinions without knowing a single, provable fact about the allegations--or perhaps he was relying on Demovsky's reporting which was based solely on the statements of a former player who was deemed entirely incredible by the independent investigator. Some of the worst journalism I have ever seen because it was dependent upon incredible people. Yet, the journalists say that they were just reporting what was said to them. I guess if IWB tells Demovsky that Brett Favre is coming back to play for the Packers he would have to report it by that standard.

Are you saying my credibility is as bad as Bross'? Ouch.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

It does take commitment, and it took Marquette too long to get it, which is one of the reasons (perhaps the primary one) that O'Neill left. People might not have been happy about Mike Deane's expectations for the program, but they might have been about right if the university was not going to spend more money and build the Al, as it did under Crean. There are different levels of commitment of course. Supposedly what got Loyola into the MVC, as opposed to some other candidates, was a commitment to spend some money. But I do not expect to see Marquette competing with Loyola for too many players soon.

But that still does not answer the question about payoff. Why should UWM be good? Not long ago, I shot some graduation pictures at Platteville. They still have larger-than-life pictures of Bo Ryan at the entrance of their gym. It is a pretty big school, big enough to have a football team, and probably not too far from UWM in enrollment. They got really excited about those D-3 championships. So suppose UWM could develop a really good lower division program? I would have to think they could create enough excitement to get the 3000 or so fans they typically get to show up, and they might even fill the arena in the playoffs. Of course, you are right. They might be just like Stevens Point - excellent and anonymous. But they are pretty anonymous right now, but at a much bigger price tag.

Only one D3 team drew 2,000 plus a game last year...Hope College. 14 more drew more than 1,000...including UWSP. The rest all were under 1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Only one D3 team drew 2,000 plus a game last year...Hope College. 14 more drew more than 1,000...including UWSP. The rest all were under 1,000.
    That is pretty bad when you look at the enrollments of the schools in the WIAC.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    That is pretty bad when you look at the enrollments of the schools in the WIAC.

I don't think intercollegiate athletics hold much interest for most students at WIAC-like schools. There are exceptions, but outside of a few diehards, it just doesn't have the social aspect that a Marquette game...or a Badger football game...provides. I have a nephew who was a real good athlete in high school and watches sports all of the time. He is a frosh at UW-Lax, and he told me went to the first football game, left at half and hasn't been to a game since. I think that is a pretty common experience.

It's ironic that after all the $%#! thrown Wardle's way he has the most talented, most together group of athletes he's ever had on campus. IWB's point on recruiting players that fit your system is something Wardle seems to have adopted. Looking at his run as a head coach he has transitioned from slow shooters game to more of an uptempo approach.

UWM should try to bring Bruce Pearl back once his show clause is over.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345