Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.8 Loyola

11.8 Loyola

Panthers will get their first regular season game in as well as the first crack at departed Horizon League member Loyola. The Ramblers have built up their roster and were picked as high as sixth in MVC preseason polls (if that's true than the HL is already better).

We'll see if the Prahls, Wichmann or Trinson White reach the floor. White's an almost certainty to redshirt, a move the coaches wish they could have convinced several junior college transfers to take. As far as I can recall, Matt Tiby is the only player in recent memory to transfer in without using eligibility in his second year at the JUCO.

Loyola Notes:

They were picked 9th just ahead of Drake.
    They lost 82 -70 vs. D-2 Lewis in their Exhibition, they allowed Lewis to shoot 60% from the field and 64% from the arc

They also have a new Message Board http://www.ramblermania.net

I'm really looking forward to this game. Start of the new season. We're undefeated, baby!

Seriously, I think we are going to enjoy this team a whole lot more. Much better balance, better depth, better cohesion, better size, stronger kids. Like Rob has said, we can do a reboot.

So close to the start of the season. I can't wait!

Jeter said in the paper on Friday that White will redshirt. This is a huge game for the Panthers with them playing at Davidson on Monday.

Tough loss, but I really felt the referees killed it. They gave a kid NBA continuation, and that was one of 50 terrible calls. I hate using it as an excuse but I felt like much of the game was a hack job, and that's beyond the rules changes.

Tough loss but a great effort by our guys. Matt Tiby had what might have been the best debut all-time at Milwaukee. I'm guessing if you told every Loyola fan there that he was a graduate transfer who had played three years at a high major they would have believed you. Not bad for a guy playing his first D1 game.

In general our bigs were terrific. That was the best low post/inside game I have ever seen Kyle play. He's a new man. Even Malcolm Moore gave us a great couple minutes off the bench.

Our guards -- not so much, but in their defense the ridiculous frequency of foul calls totally disrupted their minutes. Still, they need to do better, especially defensively. Steve and Mitch both played well, by the way.

So, a disappointing loss but so many good things to take away from the game, not least of which is that this team fights. Several times Loyola looked to pull away, and our guys gritted their teeth and reeled them back in. This team is going to be much more competitive than last year's.

I'm hoping to get to a couple of the games at NIU. Can't wait. In the meantime, it will be very interesting to see what they can do against a great DC squad that has payback on its mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Our guards -- not so much, but in their defense the ridiculous frequency of foul calls totally disrupted their minutes. Still, they need to do better, especially defensively. Steve and Mitch both played well, by the way.
    Gonna have to get used to this, at least early on. There are new rule changes that prevent hand checking to help free up the offensive flow of the game. The coaches (should) know this. I'm sure it'll take a couple games to get used to the way officials will be calling fouls, but they better learn quick. The other team is at the same disadvantage.

Should be interesting to see how teams like Wisconsin, who use their hands and forearms a lot on defense, are affected by these new rules.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...nges-foul-call

Actually Wisconsin is less likely to be severely affected than many teams. It's a myth that Wisconsin (compared to, for example, Purdue or MSU or Marquette) is a "handsy" team. As no less an authority than Bruce Pearl observed about them on this very subject just a week or so ago, UW does not have a "clutch and grab" defense, they have a contain defense.

As for our guys, you're right. They need to learn. But I can assure you that the coaches know it and have been teaching it. Now the guys have to apply it. I also think Jordan's diminutive size against bigger guards and Bobo's rust played a part in all the fouls against Loyola. One of those things, at least, can get better.

My only real complaint about the officials was the And 1 called in the 2nd half. Other than that bad play by the guards hurt.

Also, one I wish we could have back was the half court trap, that worked, but Austin promptly threw the ball away....oh man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast