Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First look at the hoops team

First look at the hoops team

I had a chance to sneak a look at the Panthers today. We are big and we are young. The team was practicing hard in what I saw and for this early in the process I really liked the competitiveness by a lot of the players, especially on defense. As usual at this point a bunch of guys are dinged up but that will work itself out by the time the season rolls around. I really liked what Steve McWhorter was doing as a lead guard. With Bobo back, McWhorter eligible after his transfer year and the addition of JR Lyle we are much deeper and should be much better at the guard spot. Trinson White adds some attacking ability at the wing and Austin looks to be in better condition. Matt Tiby is a workhorse on the block and the Prahl brothers are physically impressive for freshmen.

This looks like a much better balanced roster than we had available last year. I'm excited to see what these guys can do.

By the way, Akeem Springs will be a great addition next year.

Hoops season needs to start already. I can't wait.

I have really been looking forward to the team! Many on the other board have them winning 10 games and I've been saying all summer long, how can you even give a win total with half the roster being new. Last year teams had a few players that was a cancer to the team. If this team stays positive and works hard, who know what might happen. JJ, told me this summer he looks forward in playing at the Cell. I'm sure others on the team feel the same way.

The other board has become dominated by a confederacy of complainers. Fans who don't enjoy the constant pity party should migrate over here and leave it behind for good.

I don't know how this team will do this season, but neither do the doom-and-gloomers. I like the new mix of players and I have no doubt the team will be more enthusiastic overall. These same coaches have won two titles and they haven't forgotten how to coach. There are some good teams in the league, but no great ones. I'm excited for the season to start. And not just this season. I love the fact that JJ, Austin, Matt, JR, Brett, Alex and Cody will all be with us for at least the next three or four years. We are rebuilding. Last year sucked, there's no doubt about that. But better days are ahead.

I'm not predicting anything since after last year, you just never know but they have the talent to turn into something special. There are so many different possible starting lineups possible right now that I'm really excited to see which one gels the most.

Hard to predict a starting five at this point. Need some guys who are dinged up to get back in the swing. That said, I could see a five of JJ, Tiby, White, McWhorter and Aaron, with Steve at the point and Jordan at the 2. Any of Niang, Moore, Arians or Lyle could break into that group somewhere at some point in the season.

I agree, that its going to be difficult to predict who the starting five are. Seeing that there are a number of new faces and I know very little, other than what is being reported on the boards, about any of these new players my own confidence intervals have shrank drastically when it comes to my projected starting five. If history serves as any indication, its likely that our starting five will change numerous times thoughout the first part of the season while Robbie J takes his time settling into a rotation. If I had to throw out a guess at the starting five I'd say:

1 - Steve McWhorter
    2- Jordan Aaron
    3- Austin Arians/Trinson White
    4- Matt Tiby/Malcolm Moore
    5- J.J. Panoske

I'm exteremly excited for the season to start, and I've been hoping all month that chatter would start to increase on the boards. So far I'm kind of disappointed. Just my two basis points thought....

Any word on a team scrimmage, or will our first opportunity to get a look at the Panthers come during our exhibition game??????

WAR PANTHERS!!!!!

I think there's a scrimmage on Thursday the 24th for Full Court Club members if you have the scratch to join. I think it starts at 6 but I don't remember (or maybe never heard) whether it's at the Cell or the Klotsche. I have a meeting that evening so I'll probably miss most or all of it, unfortunately.

It's at the KC at 6pm on the 24th.

People who are going have to call to just RSVP the ticket office. They give out schedule posters and players can sign them after the scrimmage. It's a fun night!

Is it just for Full Court Club members, for season ticket holders or for anyone who RSVPs? The more the merrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast