Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buzz at MU

This is such a great time to be an MU fan and Buzz is really a perfect fit for MU and our hoops and school history.

I just worry that something isn't right as this idea of Buzz not getting the love continues to surface.

Keeping Buzz happy and the coach at MU long term is my obsession.

Goose, let me put you at ease. He ain't going anywhere. Our kids just need to make progress towards a degree, stay out of trouble, graduate, and everything will be more than fine for a long time

Love to see the comments from IWB and Drbchilds. When I first read that article, I was nervous. I definitely feel much better after those comments in this thread.

I hear what Drbchilds is saying, and agree, but the one thing that is now getting blurry for me is the graduation. Don't get me wrong, I think that is critical, but let's look at a couple of specific cases.

Jimmy Butler & Lazar Hayward - You have a shot at being drafted by the NBA, where you would make more per year than any of your classmates will make in 10-20 years. You could....

A) Leave Milwaukee, work out with NBA trainers and tour the NBA cities to work out for their teams, and do everything you can to be one of those selected on draft day

Orrrrrrrr

B) You can finish the semester taking those last 3 classes you need and just hope that you fall into a draft spot.

What would you do?

Dwight Buycks - You have been selected to play for the NBDL Tulsa 66ers. It isn't huge money, but it is enough for you to buy clothes and food for your 2 year old daughter, and if you do well, there is always a chance that you can get called up by the Phoenix Suns and get a major pay boost. What do you do.....

A) Leave Milwaukee for a job that gives you a chance to make it to the NBA....

or......

B) You can finish the semester taking those last 4 classes you need and just hope that some team takes you next season.

Seriously, what would any of you do? You have to take your shot when you can, the money on the line is just too big, and that window of opportunity opens and closes in the blink of an eye.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I don't think graduation should be too tough for many of the guys. Especially guys who have been here four years. Look at Jerel, he only had one class his second semester of Sr. Year. These guys are on campus all year. I assume they are taking a class or two during the summer months. With some assistance and flexibility, players should be able to get those last few credits at the end of their senior year or finish up in the summer.

I personally agree with you completely, jim.
    I do not know how important the graduation would be to the administration in those scenarios you outlined, but i do know that the first two items are very critical to the administration.
    We can't and won't be another UCONN and our kids have to make progress toward a degree and HAVE to stay out of trouble.
    Last edited by Drbchilds; 03-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.

I assume you are referring to that NCAA proposal that 50% of athletes need to graduate. While I have not looked closely at that proposal, how is a school like Kentucky with all the one and dones going to adhere to that requirement! For every stud NBA player you have to sign a bookworm type who will stay four years, graduate, and never play?

72 - As to your comments about the graduation and senior year - Yes, I agree, but you mention, "players should be able to get those last few credits at the end of their senior year or finish up in the summer". That is the exact time frame that comes in to play. Yes, both had a couple of credits to go, but when your agent says, you are borderline of being drafted, if you go here for a month it will ensure you are drafted, you are going. And, once you are drafted, you have summer league etc etc, so there is no time in the summer to come back for class.

Then look at Buycks - behind the 8 ball because he was a 2 year Juco guy. He was determined to stay in Milwaukee and finish his degree. He shunned offers to play in Europe, and took a full load of classes, but when the Phoenix Suns invited him to their pre-season training camp, he had to go, and anyone else would have too.

I was thinking more along the lines that they should be able to get incompletes and be able to finish up the classwork at another time. Also, if a kid really is on track to graduate, there is only about 6 weeks left in the semester following the end of the NCAA tournament. Much less time at most schools outside of Wisconsin. It seems to me that the university could make some accomodation to make sure these kids graduate while simultaneously pursuing their NBA dreams.

Agree with you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast