Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSU part 2

OSU part 2

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...t-2-academics/

The faithful are really going nuts. Apparently, 13 on the record former players claiming they received improper assistance is "hearsay", "no substance" and lacking in "facts." OSU's J-School must suck.

I read some of the article yesterday. While I am sure that OSU was cheating, there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of comments from players that claimed they didn't do anything, but heard that "so-and-so" did. Frankly, I thought yesterday's piece was kind of empty. Yeah, a few guys said the got paid for easy or no work. A couple guys got a a few bucks after a big game, but claimed others got more. Maybe today's is better, I will read it when I get a chance.

Not a chance - how many times do you have to hear "deny, deny, deny, deny" then hear their carefully scripted so called apologies down the road? I'd be shocked if there is not more than smoke to this. More like a raging inferno.

"A couple guys got a a few bucks after a big game, but claimed others got more." You really think that is all there is? I just don't get the "above the fray" attitude of many in situations like this - "there really isn't anything here" or "everyone is doing it".

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Not a chance - how many times do you have to hear "deny, deny, deny, deny" then hear their carefully scripted so called apologies down the road? I'd be shocked if there is not more than smoke to this. More like a raging inferno.

"A couple guys got a a few bucks after a big game, but claimed others got more." You really think that is all there is? I just don't get the "above the fray" attitude of many in situations like this - "there really isn't anything here" or "everyone is doing it".

How about "I simply don't care all that much." Do I want it happening at Marquette? No. But I really am not going to be all that upset if OSU decided to sell its soul for the benefit of its football team.

Fine, but what does that have to do with my response to MU88? Actually sounds more like an example of an "above the fray" attitude.

"When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I recall in 1993, 20 years ago, going to a Florida v. Auburn football game at Auburn with IWB and a few others, a great game by the way.

Auburn, coached by Terry Bowden, won to remain undefeated and did finish the year a perfect 11-0.

The interesting aspect of the game was not just that they were on probation for infractions under the previous coach, but the game could not be televised as part of the sanctions. It was more common back then to ban a team from bowl games and being on TV. T-shirts at the game worn by some Auburn fans proclaimed Auburn as the best team on radio.

At some point TV contracts must have become too big so the NCAA never considers the TV ban any longer.

You want to try and stop cheating, reintroduce the one year ban on games being televised. Could you imagine if a school like OK State had to forfeit the $20 million in TV revenue for a year, or if last year Big 10 games with Ohio State / Penn State could not be televised?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Wow, that is a very interesting take on the way the writer of the story went about getting information for the story.

This is going to be real interesting, as two players from the story are saying that what was in the article was not what was said.

Here are some more responses from Ok State former players.

http://response.okstate.edu/
    Last edited by Goose85; 09-11-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post

At some point TV contracts must have become too big so the NCAA never considers the TV ban any longer.

That and the fact that you are also punishing the opponent and its fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    That and the fact that you are also punishing the opponent and its fans.
    Shouldn't that peer pressure be helpful in keeping programs clean though? Michigan says to OSU, if we can't be on TV due to you being dirty, we aren't going to do you any favors at the big ten meetings etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast