Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Interesting Article on the Future of College Football

OT - Interesting Article on the Future of College Football

I really wonder where the sport will be in 20 years. Was it Teddy Roosevelt that wanted to ban the sport or was he the one who was against that?

I think football will be around. It is way too ingrained into the culture of the country to simply disappear. The points about how the game might adjust at the end of the article are interesting and I do agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think football will be around. It is way too ingrained into the culture of the country to simply disappear. The points about how the game might adjust at the end of the article are interesting and I do agree with them.
    The game may still be around, but the popularity of it is in question. With significant changes to the game to prevent injuries, it may lose some luster with some fans. It already has with mothers and parents. Football participation continues to dwindle.

As the demographics of our nation continue to evolve, emphasis will slowly shift to Futbol. A number of factors now working against football being as dominant as we know today.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    The game may still be around, but the popularity of it is in question. With significant changes to the game to prevent injuries, it may lose some luster with some fans. It already has with mothers and parents. Football participation continues to dwindle.

I'm glad my kids never played football, but I am really glad that other parents didn't have the same problem I did.

I'm glad my kids never played football, but I am really glad that other parents didn't have the same problem I did.
    My boys played football until Sophomore year of HS. Both actually started football practice sophomore year, before moving on to cross country. For one of my boys, it was an extremely tough decision. I was torn, a bit, but told him it was his decision and his only. When he made his decisions, the day before cross country started, I thought I would miss him on the football field. After watching some of his buddies have serious injuries in the sport, I was relieved. He made the best decision.

You're starting to see participation in youth football decline substantially in many parts of the country as parents keep their kids away from it. I think in some parts of the country (certainly not in the South or in OH, PA), you'll see participation in high school football shrink and some schools may ultimately drop the sport. The big question is how how future lawsuits from injured (and in rare cases deceased) players will ultimately effect the affordability of insurance coverage for schools and youth leagues.

I love watching the NFL, but I honestly could care less if college and high school football ceased to exist.
    Last edited by DCwarrior; 08-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.

If high school and college football cease to exist, so will the NFL, but that ain't gonna happen.

The biggest player in the football survival game was ignored. Insurance. Will the cost of insurance prevent high schools - already struggling for funds - and many colleges from offering football? After Katrina, many insurance companies decided the risks were too great to insure homes that could conceivably suffer from a future hurricane. How long will it be before the same companies decide that football insurance is too risky?

In twenty years, the only football available in high schools may be what we now know as "soccer".

VS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast