Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now this is creativity, and I applaud this effort...wish MU would do something like t

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    So because I live in a Madison zip code, I would be restricted?

I'm as much as fan of Marquette as anyone here and that's all I'll say about that. My preferred response would have to be deleted immediately.
    Yes...there are enough MU fans that buy extras for that game, that you very easily could buy from them for face. I'd be more than happy to buy a pair every year for you. You are a TRUE MU fan. I'd never question your fandom Puju.

To be fair Puju, i'd also restrict anything in my zip code and the surrounding areas. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to get them either. And you know what?? If it worked, I'd be totally okay with that.
    Last edited by MU_Iceman; 08-15-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    As far as it being sports and not WW2...I say this EVERY year. The MU-UW rivalry HAS to be one of the "softest" in America. I blame MU fans for most of that unfortunately...too many MU fans root for UW in "every other game" but this one. That's disgusting to me. I cite this every year as well, but think about North Carolina-Duke, Louisville-Kentucky(my favorite), Michigan-Ohio St, there are MANY that "get" what a true rivalry is about. Fans from thos teams can't stand the other teams fanbase. Most specifically UK-UL. They flat out HATE each other. Sure, all the fanbases i mentioned have football, and that is likely where it starts, but you are damn right it spills over to basketball as well. I just want to know why the UW-MU "rivalry" can't be that way?? Is this state really that "soft" as a whole??

I think you buy too much of the hype about rivalries that sports networks are selling you. I live in Indiana, very near Kentucky, and the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry is pretty much a larger version of the MU/UW one. It really isn't that much more intense.

That's what pisses me off. The rivalry stuff is out of hand.

You obviously didn't read the article thorougly...they also will not let you buy tickets for that game if you aren't in certain zip codes etc. It's far more restrictive than buying 'one extra game". Besides, MU's 5 game packs are probably almost as cheap as a whole, than a pair of predators tickets are. UW fans have no problems, buying the 5 game packs at $99 each and just "eating" the rest of the games. $200/pair for the UW game...That's cheaper than you can(or used to be able to) find them on the open market. Why wouldn't they do that??
    I did read the article. I dismiss the zip code thing because that would never work at MU. You may not want to admit it, but there are more UW fans than MU fans in every zip code in the state. It's an idea that absolutely could not and would not work. The best MU can do is limit it to season ticket holders. This is something they already do. This whole thread is based on what MU could do and every decent idea is something they are doing.

If people are willing to pay $100 a seat (to MU and not on the secondary market) for the UW game and 4 no shows, that's a win for MU. In most cases, those seats were not going to sell anyway since the $99 5 game plan seats are the worst in the house.

Most if not all of the lower deck is MU season ticket holders. There are also sections in the upper deck that are MU season ticket holders.

It's not like half the BC is wearing Red. Most of the visiting fans are scattered unlike the home fans.

Part of the fun of a rivalry game is the fans from the other team coming in to the opponents venue and cheering on their team. Ok, it is fun when MU is winning and can be miserable when we are not - but that is part of being in a rivalry. MU fans at the Kohl and UW fans at the BC.

Key is if MU does well and sells a lot of season and student tickets, the BC will be loud and fun for MU with some UW noise as well.

I think what annoys most MU season ticket holders is sitting in their normal seats among the MU fans in your section and then, for one game, those MU fans in your section decide to sell their tickets to Badger fans. I don't get it personally, as the reason I sit through the buy games and other not prime time games are for the opportunity to enjoy the big time games.

Bottom line, a sell out for MU hoops is always a good thing. If you want to make money of UW fans, charge more than normal for single game seats.

Another anomaly that arises with the MU-UW game is the appearance of some MU season ticket holders who show up for that game decked out in red. Yes, there are number of those around the BC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think you buy too much of the hype about rivalries that sports networks are selling you. I live in Indiana, very near Kentucky, and the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry is pretty much a larger version of the MU/UW one. It really isn't that much more intense.
    Ever read their message boards all year long, specifically the week of that game?? I beg to differ it's not that intense. As one UL fan told me several years ago..."You either bleed red, or you bleed blue, there is no in between". THAT's how I'd like to see Wisconsin get with MU-UW.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    If you weren't serious that would be funny…….
    But, unfortunately he is serious and that is sad.

Ever read their message boards all year long, specifically the week of that game?? I beg to differ it's not that intense. As one UL fan told me several years ago..."You either bleed red, or you bleed blue, there is no in between". THAT's how I'd like to see Wisconsin get with MU-UW.

Message board are in no way representative of general fandom. The whole "bleed red" or "bleed blue" is a bunch of crap that people say behind a keyboard. Kentucky fans live, work and socialize with Louisville fans regularly. Just like MU and UW fans do. You make it sound like you want it to be the Hatfields and the McCoys or something...
    Last edited by TheSultan; 08-15-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    So because I live in a Madison zip code, I would be restricted?

I'm as much as fan of Marquette as anyone here and that's all I'll say about that. My preferred response would have to be deleted immediately.
    As do I. So, I guess gomarquette does not want me, or the others of us from Madison, to be a season ticket holder any longer. Now it is a penalty to live in a certain city. How much deeper of the deep end could one go?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast