Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Conference catch-up: Big East per SI 7-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Georgetown doesn't see Richmond of as big a threat to their recruiting base as VCU.

No clue who another quality eastern team would be. There just aren't any.
    I think that's a huge problem of insecurity. Why would you want a team that's not a threat? Basically saying you just want the team from Virginia to be the whipping boy that can't infringe on your territory? I would think you're better off getting programs that CAN be a threat than teams that can't be. It's better for the league long term. I understand it from a selfish perspective, but it seems mind-numbingly stupid from a league perspective. It's like DePaul. Selfishly, them sucking is good for Marquette, but for the Big East, we are all better off if DePaul is successful.

Agree with everything you are saying 77. The only reasons I can see is that 1) Big school with a lot of potential to become a power. 1) A coach that resembles John Calipari more than he resembles Dick Bennett.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

This is all high stakes poker between these Presidents. And Fox wants new markets-so rule out anyone that is sitting right on top of another school. SLU is for sure I would bet and it still will come down to VCU or Richmond I believe. I do think they will wait a bit though to see if there are any surprises with like a UConn or something odd that could always happen. Which is smart to take a year to evaluate on how they have done with Fox and on the court and then see what is missing from the league. They may need a UConn or a UConn may need them and compromises could be made on either side depending on how things go this year.

The NBE is in the drivers seat right now. But they do need to produce on the court this year. If that happens, more options may be available that we are not even thinking of.
    Last edited by Halo; 08-01-2013 at 08:25 PM.

I think they might wait a year, but I don't think that will be because of UConn. I just don't think you will see schools like UConn, Memphis, etc. drop football, or downgrade it to FCS, in a year or two. If they decide to do so, I think it will be years...like at least a decade. And if they eventually take that step, there is nothing wrong with adding two strong members to bring a 12 team conference up to 14.

True - They would not wait for UConn specifically, but wait to see what develops in other places.

Example, Buzz often likes to keep one last schollie in his back pocket in case something happens with a big mid-season transfer. That doesn't mean he has a specific kid in mind prior, but knows that things always change and will wait to see what develops.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Saint Louis averaged around 8,500 a game last year overall and just under 10,000 in a 10.600 seat arena for A-10 games last year, so they are solid in support.
    The year before, I think they were averaging 6,000. Dayton gets fan support no matter what. Wichita St draws big crowds for their women's volleyball team. I recognize the value that SLU brings and they would be a solid addition. That order for me changes regularly, but the other three are currently ahead of SLU for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    The year before, I think they were averaging 6,000. Dayton gets fan support no matter what. Wichita St draws big crowds for their women's volleyball team. I recognize the value that SLU brings and they would be a solid addition. That order for me changes regularly, but the other three are currently ahead of SLU for me.
    Agree, especially since SLU will almost certainly slide under Crews.

I like Wichita and VCU but c'mon, they won't be adding public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Agree, especially since SLU will almost certainly slide under Crews.

I like Wichita and VCU but c'mon, they won't be adding public schools.
    I'm still hoping, since IWB said VCU was strongly being considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I'm still hoping, since IWB said VCU was strongly being considered.
    Im hoping so too, I just doubt it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234