Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conference catch-up: Big East per SI 7-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    I sounded like a dick with my earlier comment about this thread and I apologize. I just think there are some things about schools that need to met for inclusion in a new league with basketball an obvious one. Media exposure, non-revenue sport fits, basketball attendance, facilities, academics will all be on the table and whoever fits best should be the next two and I'll leave that up to Val Ackerman, the school presidents and the Big East administration to decide.

Right. But this is a message board, it's relevant and people want to talk about it.

I still say the East contingent will not allow two Midwest teams.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I still say the East contingent will not allow two Midwest teams.
    I think you are right...that is why I would bet on SLU and Richmond. Unless they go for publics then I would say SLU and VCU.

Georgetown might push for Richmond since basketball coach Chris Mooney has a Princeton connection to JTIII. I think they are small time with an average attendance in basketball of under 6,000 a game, don't even offer women's volleyball and they don't move needle on a national level.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Georgetown might push for Richmond since basketball coach Chris Mooney has a Princeton connection to JTIII. I think they are small time with an average attendance in basketball of under 6,000 a game, don't even offer women's volleyball and they don't move needle on a national level.

I just posted this on Scoop...

The only reason that Richmond is in the discussion is because of two assumptions...

1. The NBE isn't interested in public universities. (so no VCU), and
    2. The eastern members want some sort of east/midwest balance (so if SLU gets an invite, there is no room for Dayton.)

And outside of Richmond, there isn't another private university in the east that makes any sort of sense. You end up talking about schools like Duquesne, Sienna, St. Bonaventure, and their ilk.

Ted - In round one, Georgetown was fighting for Richmond because they were fighting off VCU. Georgetown does not want to recruit against VCU.

Sultan - on your two points.... 1) The NBE was very interested in VCU and some really wanted them in (MU), but as stated above, Georgetown was fighting them off hard. 2) Bingo - right on.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

My real question is who they think this other eastern team will be. St. Joe's and Richmond play in bandboxes and don't have near the support I would think is necessary. In addition, it seems like both would infringe on current eastern teams' territory, 'Nova and GT specifically. Why would GT be fine with Richmond and not VCU? Who else is out there that they can honestly sell? Iona? Bucknell? Drexel? Give me a break.

Unless UConn decides to drop football (seems like a ludicrous notion) I don't see who they are hoping for. Duke to decide they don't belong in a league with football? Gonzaga to relocate to upstate New York? Who other than VCU is even worth considering close to the East Coast. There simply is no one remotely viable that fits the profile of this league.

Too bad Fordham never got their act together although they have had some moments over the years - NYC, Jesuit, great school, but program sucks and they play in one of the oldest and smallest facilities in D1. Iona has a better program, but doesn't make the cut either.

I think the lesser of all evils is Richmond. Maybe the BE invites them with certain stipulations - upgrade facilities etc. If I was GT, I'd want one eastern school too and I want them happy.

I'm still keeping the dream of UCONN and Cinci alive no matter what anyone says - where there is a will there is a way!!!

How about LaSalle? I don't know anything about them. I just know they had a good year last year, I'm looking at the RPI from last year, and I'm throwing a name out there.

(My personal preference is Wich St., Dayton, VCU, in that order and they are all pretty equal. My criteria is fan support, administration support, great atmosphere in their arena. Those are the qualities that I believe would make a successful team in the Big East. I just don't know if SLU has the fan support or Richmond.)

I hear what you're saying, except UConn doesn't need to drop football, just reclassify to FCS - like 'Nova, GT, and Butler. Depending upon what the soon-to-be ex-BCS schools do in their quest to get even more money, that move might be sensible - not ludicrous at all.

VS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast