Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference catch-up: Big East per SI 7-31-13

Conference catch-up: Big East per SI 7-31-13

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...?sct=uk_t11_a1

Looks like he is picking Creighton and GT and MU as challengers.

2) Why should we be interested in the success of the new Big East?
    Well, besides the TV network issue discussed above (and more competition is always good for business), the new Big East is an interesting test case for whether schools can thrive with basketball-only revenue sport models in college athletics today. Xavier, Butler and Creighton have all annually sunk a heavy percentage of their athletics budgets into men’s basketball and have earned their way to the table. Whether this league succeeds now will probably have a significant impact on how many other schools attempt to mimic that model. VCU is a school that’s moving in that direction, but overall success for this league and the programs that pushed their way in would be good for college basketball overall as it continues to try to maintain a foothold in a football-intense world.

VCU and Wichita State should be heavily considered for BE expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    VCU and Wichita State should be heavily considered for BE expansion.
    Completely agree.

I am not sold on Wichita State. I think that is a risk. Outlying area, not much else in common. They had a nice run the past two years with Greg Marshall, but under Turgeon rebuilt the program, but left after his big success (Sweet 16). I just don't see them as a building block for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I am not sold on Wichita State. I think that is a risk. Outlying area, not much else in common. They had a nice run the past two years with Greg Marshall, but under Turgeon rebuilt the program, but left after his big success (Sweet 16). I just don't see them as a building block for the league.
    Much better alternative than SLU or Dayton.

Why do we keep going with this conversation? Everybody knows each others opinions, so let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Much better alternative than SLU or Dayton.
    I disagree, though I draw my conclusions from actually having lived in Wichita for a number of years. I just do not see it as a fit and do not agree it is a better alternative than SLU or Dayton (whom I am not advocating I want either).

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Why do we keep going with this conversation? Everybody knows each others opinions, so let it go.
    Fair enough. I will be done with the debate.

My bet is SLU for sure and either Richmond or VCU. Dayton is not going to make the cut.

I sounded like a dick with my earlier comment about this thread and I apologize. I just think there are some things about schools that need to met for inclusion in a new league with basketball an obvious one. Media exposure, non-revenue sport fits, basketball attendance, facilities, academics will all be on the table and whoever fits best should be the next two and I'll leave that up to Val Ackerman, the school presidents and the Big East administration to decide.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast