Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Malek Harris commits to MU!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Hank Raymonds really missed again with Collins. Perhaps if he had one more night to recruit him? But when you look back on it, landing him would have been against all odds. I guess in the in the end, I don't care anymore.
    Oh come on! I actually had to google up Phil Collins songs for this...and nothing???

I liked it Sultan
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

As did I Sultan. I was just thrown having to think back to all the near misses that Hank and Rick had.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    As did I Sultan. I was just thrown having to think back to all the near misses that Hank and Rick had.
    When we talk about near misses, Joe Wolf seems to get cast aside. I remember the article in the paper the morning he was announcing, saying he was committing to MU. Rick thought he had him.

Sun-Times article on Harris this morning - sorry if already posted - good picture of him:

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_...rrer_id=596370

When Marquette coach Buzz Williams offered Sandburg's Malek Harris in April, it wasn't a casual throw-it-out-there offer. Williams and assistant coach Isaac Chew made Harris a high priority, hoping the 6-7 forward would be their first 2014 commitment.

When Marquette coach Buzz Williams offered Sandburg's Malek Harris in April, it wasn't a casual throw-it-out-there offer. Williams and assistant coach Isaac Chew made Harris a high priority, hoping the 6-7 forward would be their first 2014 commitment.

That's exactly how it played out as Harris, who visited Marquette on Wednesday, gave Williams and Marquette an oral commitment.

Harris himself knew his trip to Marquette on Wednesday was different in comparison to other visits because he couldn't fall asleep on the car ride to Milwaukee. This was the first visit among several he had taken where Harris couldn't get any shut-eye during the ride to campus.

"I was thinking so much about Marquette and so excited I couldn't sleep," says Harris. "But Marquette has always stood out to me, and I felt like if everything was the way I expected it was going to be on the visit, I would commit."

There was a long list of suitors for Harris, including Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, DePaul and Kansas State among other high-major programs. Williams and the Marquette staff, however, put the Golden Eagles out front, both with the relationship they built with Harris and showing how he would fit as a player.

"I love the coaching staff and have such a good relationship with them," says Harris.

Marquette is getting a player that fits the Buzz Williams recruiting profile and mold: a competitive, hard-nosed player with a non-stop motor. Harris admitted that helped in his decision.

"That was a big factor, because I was looking at a school and program where a lot of the players that have gone there and played there were a lot like me in the way they played," says Harris. "It was easy to envision and great to see the type of success those players have had. And the style of play is a great fit for me."

Harris brings versatility to the forward position, which Marquette has had so much success with in recent years. He makes plays in a variety of ways, always seems to be around the ball, is an above-average rebounder and can defend multiple positions with his size and length.

The multi-faceted senior, who impressed this spring with the Illinois Wolves with his advanced ballhandling skills and a warrior mentality, is now considered one of the top 100 prospects nationally in the Class of 2014

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123