Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malek Harris commits to MU!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    The Phil Collins reference goes back 33 years or so when Hank Raymonds lost 6-9 JUCO big man Phil Collins to West Virginia. Like Malek Harris, this Phil Collins was a Orland Park (IL) Sandburg High School alum.
    Damn Ted, how you remember these is amazing. When you mentioned Phil Collins, I remembered his recruitment. I could never have told you where he went to school, though. Impressive. Maybe you need to change your moniker to "RainMan".

How is the first name pronounced?

Does "Mal" rhyme with "Al"? And does "ek" rhyme with "trek"? Is the first syllable stressed as in "MALek?

I assume this is the case, but there are other options as well.

Muleek is the pronunciation based on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9rBZQO93c

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Damn Ted, how you remember these is amazing. When you mentioned Phil Collins, I remembered his recruitment. I could never have told you where he went to school, though. Impressive. Maybe you need to change your moniker to "RainMan".

Hank Raymonds really missed again with Collins. Perhaps if he had one more night to recruit him? But when you look back on it, landing him would have been against all odds. I guess in the in the end, I don't care anymore.

The Collins last minute change of heart sent Marquette on a downward spiral. For a yaer prior to his change of heart it was reportered he was an absolute lock for the Warriors. That made other bigs unwilling to consider Marquette. A lesson in why you never stop recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    My twins are taking "unofficials" to MU tomorrow, I doubt they will commit though, unless they get a huge financial aid package
    Good luck mufansince72, hope MU makes a financial aid commit to you!

Collins. Rod Foster. Phil Sellers. Bill Varner. All four were supposedly locks for MU, but we lost all four.

But the one that fried my cookies the most was Scooter McCray. His last-second switch to Louisville absolutely shocked the staff. Had Scooter stuck with MU, then his brother, Rodney, would almost certainly have become a Warrior, as well, and that Louisville national championship that followed could easily have been another MU championship.

The other one that hurt was Russell Cross. It was always pretty much a two-way battle, but had he picked MU.........I don't even want to think about it.

And, finally, of course, was Rick Olson, who had already committed to MU. Had he honored that commitment, we would have won probably another three to five games in each of the following four years.

All those near misses!
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 06-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Yes, those were significant misses that really hurt. Though, Cross was a real reach when I dig back into my memory banks. Was he the same year as Doc...?

Sometimes they are misses - sometimes a coach screws up. It happens.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Don't forget Donald Royal. Rick thought he had him after losing out on Joe Wolf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast