Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors

Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors

I know this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I was at Wisconsin Lutheran, watching the summer league, and I saw that their nickname was the Warriors. Why can they keep that nickname?

Because they aren't in the NCAA.

They're NCAA D3 I thought?

When the NCAA started going after Indian nickname, they contacted WLC who pointed out they never had any connection to Indians. They also said it was "warriors for Christ" but the lack of historical connection was they key.
    Last edited by MayorBeluga; 06-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Hendrix College in Arkansas is also the Warriors
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

They're NCAA and had a big NCAA sign in their field house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I was at Wisconsin Lutheran, watching the summer league, and I saw that their nickname was the Warriors. Why can they keep that nickname?
    Marquette can be the Warriors. You can't have that type of logo.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Marquette can be the Warriors. You can't have that type of logo.
    The NCAA was broader than that. The release stated you cannot have "mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control"

The reason MU dropped Warriors has no connection with the NCAA. They could reacquire the nickname tomorrow and run into no NCAA issues if they have the appropriate mascots and images.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The reason MU dropped Warriors has no connection with the NCAA. They could reacquire the nickname tomorrow and run into no NCAA issues if they have the appropriate mascots and images.
    As I recall, the Pottawatomi had been come out against MU going back to the Warrior nickname. At the time MU considered it, the comments was that the history of Native American imagery was too strong. I doubt the NCAA would allow the use of Warriors for MU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast