Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More College Coach Firings

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    That would be a mistake. The guy got a sweetheart deal from Creighton which bailed him out at Iowa State as he would have gotten fired. His kid blows up and makes them a contender. He couldn't recruit at Iowa State, I don't think he will be able to recruit at So Car. Besides that, Creighton originally signed him to something ridiculous, like a 10 year $15 million deal or something like that.

Agree that both need an energetic up and comer, I was just predicting what they would do.

I knew that - I think DePaul should have gone that route as well - the work that needs to be done is not for the elderly in relative terms. I think if TC went to DePaul instead of MU things could be very, very different at both schools. Don't want to think of it actually.

Speaking of USC, MU had a great rivalry going with them when Frank McGuire was coaching against Al - both teams had that NYC pipeline - one of the first MU games I recall watching was a close game against USC - great players over those years on both teams. Who was that Pete Maravich "want to be" on USC - Rusty Galloon or something like that - more flash than substance as I recall.

I think the very first game I recall watching MU in was that triple OT game against ND in the early '70's - MU lost - think it was at ND. Regretfully, I was rooting for ND as I was watching with my ND grad father and had a brother at ND and a sister at St. Mary's at the time or who had just graduated. I was eventually cured of that ailment. I do remember thinking that "those Marquette guys are cool".

I think South Carolina goes with a young up and coming coach.

I see a place like SMU trying to go with an established coach after seeing how quickly June Jones turned around the football program. I think they would like to try the same route for hoops. Big money there - just a matter of how much of it they want to spend on coaching.

If they don't want to go that route, there is a guy at Lamar they might be interested in - Pat Knight.

SMU potential

Two thoughts about the SMU situation:

(1) Will that 7 footer stay with his commitment to SMU with this firing" Marquette was in the hunt to the end.

(2) SMU has a lot of money. $30 million has gone to renovating Moody Coliseum. http://www.smumustangs.com/facilitie...novations.html There's potential for that program given it's location in the Dallas Metroplex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12