Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More College Coach Firings

More College Coach Firings

SMU cans Doherty. It will be interesting to see what they do in preparation for heading to the Big East. This hire will say a lot about what resources they plan to allocate to hoops.

Horn, former MU assistant under Crean, was let go at South Carolina as well.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/...ty-six-seasons

How Doherty keeps getting work is beyond me. Forgot that he was the national coach of the year with UNC. To his credit, he did bring in the lion's share of recruits that ended up winning for ol' Roy.

Go to wonder where these two schools will turn. South Carolina is a tough one. Expecting a coach to break into the upper echelon in that conference is a pretty tall order.

SMU - that will get interesting. Bad program, but spending the money to step it up in the Big East. Do they take an up-and-coming assistant? Do they try to lure someone away with big cash? Or do they take a guy like Horn?

Two interesting hires, I say So Car hires an up and coming assistant, SMU will overpay to lure someone away from somewhere else.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I think SMU needs the "up and coming" option - what TC was to MU - same with SoCar - young and energetic is what is needed.

Supposedly Greg Mcdermott is the guy SC wants.

That would be a mistake. The guy got a sweetheart deal from Creighton which bailed him out at Iowa State as he would have gotten fired. His kid blows up and makes them a contender. He couldn't recruit at Iowa State, I don't think he will be able to recruit at So Car. Besides that, Creighton originally signed him to something ridiculous, like a 10 year $15 million deal or something like that.

Agree that both need an energetic up and comer, I was just predicting what they would do.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

South Carolina is a tough job and they need someone to get that state excited about basketball. Need a Shaka Smart type, but not sure they can get one who can turn it around. McDermott in South Carolina?

Let hizzoner be the first to say it: Perry Clark to South Carolina!
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Can't believe South Carolina would want McDermott. Gregg Marshall, sure, but McDermott?

Yeah maybe the posts/tweets I read meant Marshall and not Mcdermott? Marshall has history in the state....http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/03/...all-coach.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast