Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Vander going Pro would be a huge mistake....

Why Vander going Pro would be a huge mistake....

There are several reasons why Vander Blue going pro would be a HUGE mistake......

Numbers: At this point, there are 33 early entrants. There are approximately 22 seniors that are expected to be drafted. There will also around 10 international players drafted. Where does he fall in that mix?

Skills: Vander has come a long way, especially with his on court maturity. However, his handle on the ball and his shot still need some work.

Fox Sports: To me, the biggest reason why he should not go this year is because of Fox Sports. Next year the New Big East enters into unchartered waters. There are a lot of unknowns. But here is what is known. We have seen this before when Fox shocked the world and picked up the NFL contract. What happened? They promoted the living hell out of it and succeeded. Fox will bring the same mentality to the New Big East. With that, they will promote their product, and promote it in a REALLY BIG WAY. At this point, Marquette is a pre-season top 10 team. Vander Blue will likely be pre-season first team All-Big East, and actually has a shot at preseason player of the year. Fox will promote the living daylights out of that. Fox will be driving the Vander Blue bus.

So, go into the draft this year, risk not being picked at all or possibly late in the second round. Play D-League or Euro Ball where you will be taking the bus from Fort Wayne to Erie, or stay at MU one more year, let Fox build you up while you take a run at the Final Four and grab a first round or possible lottery pay check next year and make more than you ever would had you left one year early.

The decision is up to Vander Blue, so what ever he does I will wish him well, but in my mind, going this year would be a mistake.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

The biggest reason he shouldn't go pro this year is because he's not good enough right now. I hope he likes making making $30K a year and riding buses in the D-League or playing in China or Israel because those are what his options are going to be next year.

That point about Fox marketing the heck out of the Big East is a drum I've been pounding for some time. Players and teams will be showcased like never before. The name recognition will be priceless.

I don't see the Fox Sports as a reason at all.

depends on how much Fox Sports pushes the NBE as a side show. If it is relegated to the new cable network, the imprint will be strong. If they could schedule a Sunday, "game of the week" afternoon game after the NFL season is over, that would be HUGE

Fox is not paying $500 mil to let it be a side show. Fox will push the crap out of this as they want to take on ESPN.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

What does being on Fox Sports have to do with draft status? Is the buzz created by a network more important that scout's and GM's analysis of tape and workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    What does being on Fox Sports have to do with draft status? Is the buzz created by a network more important that scout's and GM's analysis of tape and workouts?
    Visibility. But, you make a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Agree 100%, but if they are really going to promote the players and not just the coaches and it is a high profile player it could help their "brand" after they get out of school which may lead to more lucrative promotional opportunities. Especially if they are playing only one or 2 years. Other than Davis and maybe Kidd-Gilchrist, I'd be hard pressed to name many of the UK players from last year. Way back when before players could leave early, players became iconic and were flooded with offers upon graduating,i.e., Jabbar, Walton, Thompson etc.

Wish Vander was staying, but it is what it is. Obviously, Van's goal is to play in the NBA and he is coming off a good run to the Elite 8 (though the Cuse game highlighted his limitations). Academics are probably not his thing and he could come back to school to finish up if necessary as he has a year or so to go. Injuries are always a possibility and sometimes coming back after a good junior season does not always work out ( see JordanTaylor on both counts ).

Yes, his shot is problematical though not sure it would improve that much with an extra year?

It's a done deal, so we do need to look at things from his perspective. FBOW

Wish Van well in his NBA pursuit and thank him for his contributions to MUs successes the past 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast