Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wardle investigation?

Add Jake Thomas and Jesperson to UWGB and they will be pretty tough.

Still a possibility that Jake returns to MU.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Thought this investigation was bull, but maybe not! http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...-UWGB-s-Wardle

Things getting worse for Wardle.....where there is smoke...........

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Things getting worse for Wardle.....where there is smoke...........
    You are probably right, but Cougill did not have the greatest reputation either. I can empathize with someone suffering from depression, but unfortunately know what happens when it is not treated properly from a close family member (and can see how it would disrupt a basketball team). If this was not one of our own guys potentially being railroaded, I admittedly may look at this differently, but I am not ready to compare Wardle to Rice just yet.

Wow - I'm really surprised by all this - he seems like such an easy going guy. If this turns out to be true, I just don't understand that approach - do you really need to resort to that type of stuff to get results?

I don't know if Wardle is guilty of this or not, but I just hate these pieces that present one side of the story. Would like to hear what Brian has to say, if anyting.

Lets hope it isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    You are probably right, but Cougill did not have the greatest reputation either. I can empathize with someone suffering from depression, but unfortunately know what happens when it is not treated properly from a close family member (and can see how it would disrupt a basketball team). If this was not one of our own guys potentially being railroaded, I admittedly may look at this differently, but I am not ready to compare Wardle to Rice just yet.
    I totally admit that I am completely biased. Not only is Brian one of ours, but I have always liked him. While he was at Marquette, and afterward, he always conducted himself as a perfect gentleman. I went down to Rockford to interview him when he was down there. He was great. He didn't need to be.

Looking at these two cases, at least as they are set out, I am not all that impressed. One is from a walk-on with a pretty notorious mother. The other seems to be about the same. Here is a kid who started out as the player of the year in Iowa, lasted one year at the state school, and was a fair player at Green Bay. While I would not find it acceptable for a coach to ridicule a player with mental illness problems, I can see a coach getting on a kid if he fails to take his medication, melts down during a game, and creates a crisis. I can understand a coach telling a player that he has to take responsibility for his own health and being ready to play. That does not mean not getting the flu. It does mean taking the medication you know you need to stay mentally balanced. I also look at this and wonder why Mom was not allowed to talk to the head coach while her son was on (as she notes deserved) academic probation. First, what does she need to talk to the coach about, exactly? To get him to talk to profs to up the kid's grades? If she got shuffled off to his trusted assistant, I think it was more a matter of "I don't have time to deal with this woman right now. You handle it."

There may be more to the matter than that. An investigation is in order. But so far, I have not seen more than a few parents whose noses are out of joint.

Justin Felder ‏@Justin_Felder 14m

Spoke to a former Green Bay men's basketball player about Coach Wardle's style..."he made you have tough skin." Hear more soon on @fox11news

Drew Smith ‏@DrewSmithSports 5m

Seth Evans on Wardle: "...he was pushing me in the right direction, I just wasn't ready for it at the age of 18."

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...R-wwtg.twitter
    Last edited by MUBasketball; 04-15-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I totally admit that I am completely biased. Not only is Brian one of ours, but I have always liked him. While he was at Marquette, and afterward, he always conducted himself as a perfect gentleman. I went down to Rockford to interview him when he was down there. He was great. He didn't need to be.

Looking at these two cases, at least as they are set out, I am not all that impressed. One is from a walk-on with a pretty notorious mother. The other seems to be about the same. Here is a kid who started out as the player of the year in Iowa, lasted one year at the state school, and was a fair player at Green Bay. While I would not find it acceptable for a coach to ridicule a player with mental illness problems, I can see a coach getting on a kid if he fails to take his medication, melts down during a game, and creates a crisis. I can understand a coach telling a player that he has to take responsibility for his own health and being ready to play. That does not mean not getting the flu. It does mean taking the medication you know you need to stay mentally balanced. I also look at this and wonder why Mom was not allowed to talk to the head coach while her son was on (as she notes deserved) academic probation. First, what does she need to talk to the coach about, exactly? To get him to talk to profs to up the kid's grades? If she got shuffled off to his trusted assistant, I think it was more a matter of "I don't have time to deal with this woman right now. You handle it."

There may be more to the matter than that. An investigation is in order. But so far, I have not seen more than a few parents whose noses are out of joint.

I think we should let the investigation play out because my understanding is that there are more than just a couple unhappy fringe players. Again, nothing physical... I think Wardle may have made some mistakes recruiting wise and has some players who may not have been good fits with his program and what he is trying to do.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast