Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wardle investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    Yeah Eddie, I know the Bross's pretty well. Two softest giants I have ever seen. Not to mention, they have been coddled by the parents. Kids get opportunities because of their size, but there really isn't much talent or potential there. Both of them are very nice, very smart kids. They just don't have the mental makeup or drive in my opinion to be college athletes.
    Wasn't Wardle a player here while Rice was an assistant? Maybe he learned some "bad coaching style" as a player here? (Not saying anything physical), as my buddy said, who was an student manager at the time when Rice was here, that was a pretty typical practice back in the day at MU, minus any physical touching/ball throwing. Yelling/language was definitely a part of it.
    Last edited by Djgoldnboy; 04-12-2013 at 08:18 AM.

I hope the public doesn't view Wardle as guilty when there isn't many feel facts out there. Even if Wardle is found not-guilty of any wrong doing, this still hurts Wardle and the Green Bay basketball program.

The COMMENTS made by people on JS ONLINE attached to the Wardle article are priceless.....

When delusional parents raise their children from cradle until they dump them off on their wife (or next mommy) (unless the kid prefers to live in their basement for the rest of his life), this is what you get.....people like Bross' mother are painful to watch in action. Watching them over the years make me want to kick my kids in the a$$ and tell them to grow a pair. Life is never fair. It's about dealing with tough situations and people. Man up. The sad thing is all along they had no clue that everyone was laughing at them!!!!! And still are....

Quote Originally Posted by eddiedswang View Post
    The COMMENTS made by people on JS ONLINE attached to the Wardle article are priceless.....

When delusional parents raise their children from cradle until they dump them off on their wife (or next mommy) (unless the kid prefers to live in their basement for the rest of his life), this is what you get.....people like Bross' mother are painful to watch in action. Watching them over the years make me want to kick my kids in the a$$ and tell them to grow a pair. Life is never fair. It's about dealing with tough situations and people. Man up. The sad thing is all along they had no clue that everyone was laughing at them!!!!! And still are....

See, I hate stuff like this. I don't know anything about Bross, but why do people have to make assumptions on this issue without understanding the entire story?

What I have been told is not it not necessarily just yelling that is the issue, but inconsistent communication...pitting players against one another..."head games," etc.
    Now is any of this an "actionable" offense? Most likely not. However does it paint a bad picture of Wardle as a coach? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiedswang View Post

I think Eddie summed this up pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    See, I hate stuff like this. I don't know anything about Bross, but why do people have to make assumptions on this issue without understanding the entire story?

What I have been told is not it not necessarily just yelling that is the issue, but inconsistent communication...pitting players against one another..."head games," etc.
    Now is any of this an "actionable" offense? Most likely not. However does it paint a bad picture of Wardle as a coach? Probably.
    I would like to hear more, but head games, inconsistent communication, pitting players against one another ... sounds like a normal coaching situation in any sport. Especially at the D1 level. Painting Wardle in a bad picture? Really? Give me a break!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    why do people have to make assumptions on this issue without understanding the entire story?
    Sultan - eddiedswang is basing his statement off of observing the kid and his parents since he was in early grade school. I would think that would qualify him to speak on more than an assumption basis.

I have known Brian Wardle for years. I have watched him coach. He is not any different than any other coach out there. Yelling at kids, playing head games with them and pitting them against each other is called "COACHING".

This is an absolute crock. A mom writing a letter to a University complaining about how a coach yelled at and mistreated her son? When does it stop?

I have coached a total of 20 youth sports teams between basketball, baseball and football as either a head or assistant coach. 20. That is a hell of a lot, and I have yet to coach my third kid in anything. Out of all 20 teams, I had never received a complaint about playing time or what position they play until this year. This year in basketball I had 7 girls on my team. 7. Only two of which were guards, so I literally could never take them out because no one else could dribble. The rest alternated.

The girl whose parent complained went in at the mid way point of every quarter. So, she split time equally with the girl in front of her. The only time that did not happen was in two games in the fourth quarter where it came down to the buzzer. Mind you, in this grade we do not have equal playing time rules, but if we did, she would still be doubling the time in that rule.

Now - the parent complained to the athletic director, every member of the athletic board and anyone else who would listen, but never said a word to me. Never asked me why she wasn't playing more, never asked me why she wasn't starting, but basically complained about me to everyone in town.

I never coached the kid any differently than I coached anyone else, I never sat her more than anyone else despite the fact that she was our biggest liability, yet the mom complained to the school.

Should the school have launched an investigation? Should I have been dragged through the media for being a horrible person?

Wardle is coaching D1 basketball. He needs to yell at theses kids, he needs to pit them against each other (its called competition) and he needs to play head games with them to get the best out of them. This is what coaches do.

Tim Maymon complained about playing time and everyone assumed he was nuts. This kid's mom complains about her son being yelled at, and it launches an investigation?

I think this is BS. I know Wardle, he is a great guy and a talented coach. This is absurd.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Sultan - eddiedswang is basing his statement off of observing the kid and his parents since he was in early grade school. I would think that would qualify him to speak on more than an assumption basis.

I have known Brian Wardle for years. I have watched him coach. He is not any different than any other coach out there. Yelling at kids, playing head games with them and pitting them against each other is called "COACHING".

This is an absolute crock. A mom writing a letter to a University complaining about how a coach yelled at and mistreated her son? When does it stop?

I have coached a total of 20 youth sports teams between basketball, baseball and football as either a head or assistant coach. 20. That is a hell of a lot, and I have yet to coach my third kid in anything. Out of all 20 teams, I had never received a complaint about playing time or what position they play until this year. This year in basketball I had 7 girls on my team. 7. Only two of which were guards, so I literally could never take them out because no one else could dribble. The rest alternated.

The girl whose parent complained went in at the mid way point of every quarter. So, she split time equally with the girl in front of her. The only time that did not happen was in two games in the fourth quarter where it came down to the buzzer. Mind you, in this grade we do not have equal playing time rules, but if we did, she would still be doubling the time in that rule.

Now - the parent complained to the athletic director, every member of the athletic board and anyone else who would listen, but never said a word to me. Never asked me why she wasn't playing more, never asked me why she wasn't starting, but basically complained about me to everyone in town.

I never coached the kid any differently than I coached anyone else, I never sat her more than anyone else despite the fact that she was our biggest liability, yet the mom complained to the school.

Should the school have launched an investigation? Should I have been dragged through the media for being a horrible person?

Wardle is coaching D1 basketball. He needs to yell at theses kids, he needs to pit them against each other (its called competition) and he needs to play head games with them to get the best out of them. This is what coaches do.

Tim Maymon complained about playing time and everyone assumed he was nuts. This kid's mom complains about her son being yelled at, and it launches an investigation?

I think this is BS. I know Wardle, he is a great guy and a talented coach. This is absurd.
    I love your analysis when it comes to Maymon and Bross situations. The difference is Maymon only had one crazy parent that we know of. Bross has two! Maymon is/was a high level D1 athlete. Bross is a seven foot walkon redshirt! It might be worth it as a coach to take all the stuff that is involved with a difficult parent in a situation like Maymon's, because of the talent and the potential. It is not worth it when you are dealing with a project who's parents have very unrealistic views of their child's athletic ability. What is really funny is I think at one time Bross's parents were trying to get Buzz to take him as a walkon at MU. One day of bootcamp and there probably would have been child endangerment charges
    Last edited by mufansince72; 04-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Maymon does have two parents, but to me his mom seemed pretty quiet and reserved. I do remember when he committed, Tim told me that Jerrone wanted to stay close to home because he didn't want to be too far away from his mom.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I've had many conversations about this with older coaches. They all say that they use to get complaints from parents that the coach wasn't being hard enough on their kid. Today, parents complain that they are being too hard on their kid. They'd tell me stories how their football coach would grab their face masks, hit them on their helmet, shoulder pads etc. It's certainly a different world when someone thinks that pitting kids against each other, while playing a sport is cause for an investigation. I will say this. I coached girls for a long time, and the past few years I've been coaching the boys. My style is hardly intimidating, but I expect full effort. There is so much more drama, coaching the boys, than there is the girls. I tell people this and they think it's counter intuitive, but it's true. Because of this, I have had to raise my voice with the boys so much more than the girls. It's almost as if I have to do that to get a point across. After the season, I'd have my post season 1 on 1's with the kids, and most of them say they need yelling in order to stay motivated. Some kids don't like that. The challenge nowadays is figuring out what motivates each kid because everyone is different. However, even though kids might not like it, what they think brings out the best in them is not true, because they are not giving full effort. I always talk about taking yourself out of your comfort zone. Striving to be a better person in everything you do. Kids might think they are giving their full effort, but in reality, all they want is to be in their comfort zone.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast