Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Wardle investigation?

The lesson from all of this is that coaches have to do almost everything above board now and that may not be enough to survive. The old school coaching techniques and the illegal recruiting stuff are going to get out there at some point and when parents get involved, good luck. This past year a college head coach was contacted by a parent who was upset at the salty language the head coach used during games when in the past, coaches coached and parents watched without involvement.

We'll have to see what happens, but to be honest, I will be surprised if UWGB is not looking for a new head coach and that's just my opinion. Public perception is huge right now.

Sultan - I don't think Navy boot camp is a ridiculous comparison. Many teams/coaches are putting boot camps into place to replicate boot camp from the branches of the military. Not to the same extent, but the framework is there. They work them to get into physical shape but also to toughen them up mentally. I don't see why it is so different, other than one group is athletes preparing for a competitive season and the other are military personnel preparing for a competitive career.

Tulsa - You say that Demovsky has a responsibility to report and doesn't want to come across as a cheerleader. I understand that, but it looks as if he is going in the other direction too the nth degree. He detailed Bross' complaints from an interview and laid them out there. In every story since he has brought them back up. Sykes and Brown were interviewed on Green Bay radio. Why has he not interviewed them? Former players have come out and spoken on Wardle's behalf, why has he not interviewed them? In his latest article he quotes former women's coach Matt Bollant, but states that the quotes were obtained by GBPG staff, then adds that he was not there this year. Why did he not interview Bollant himself?

The crap that Wilde was spewing on the air the other day was a shame, and to hear that he and Demovsky are tight shows that he took that story as gospel and will not entertain a view from the other side.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    That's just a ridiculous comparison.
    I don't view it as a ridiculous comparison. I may be interpreting it a bit different as I read the post. The way I look at it, we now have people looking into the microscope of athletics to judge behavior. The mom, reporters, the attorney ... Yes, athletics can be hard, harsh and verbal abuse is not unusual. How do those that are looking in judge and compare it? What standard of care are they using? If Wardle is guilty and removed, there are a ton of coaches that could have the same fate.

Looking at the comparison to the military. One issue that broos has is with the "boot camp". Yes, boot camps are demanding, difficult and mind bending. The coaches will act like drill instructors. That is how they base it. Pushing the body and mind to the extreme, as during the season that will pay off huge benefits.

So, to you, ridiculous. I think you are way off base with that comment, quite frankly.

As for wilde, he is really an ego without a reason. Not much of a writer and really comes across as a whiny, pompous pile of broos shorts. If I ever listen to homer anymore, I turn the channel when he comes on the air.

Did Wilde ever play a sport? Even high school coaches will spew foul language and make comments to players trying to get them to step up.

I have seen some high school basketball and football coaches really get after the kids in an intense way right in front of parents too. In one case where a coach was really incredibly hard on the kids (basketball) a grandmother to one of the kids told us (we were with the opposing team) that for many of the kids that is the only way to reach them or get them to respond to the coach as many lacked discipline. Basically she told us the kids needed that type of intensity from the coach.

Right or wrong, guys say things to other guys, and talk differently when only guys are around, and coaches are no different. Many of us experienced that in high school, and I'd bet guys like IWB who played college ball saw it at a much higher level.

Basically I think Buzz, and Coach K for that matter, are very good coaches and darn good role models, but I would not want my mother to sit in on a closed MU or Duke practice. For that matter, I wouldn't want my mom sitting through a high school practice, even at a place like MUHS. Guys, especially in tough sports, just communicate differently when around only guys.

Speaking of Green Bay (Wardle) I recall Mike Holmgren one time grabbing a guy by the face mask as he came off the field during a game and just going nuts on him (Bill Schroeder?). Everyone was shocked as most thought of Holmgren as such a nice, calm, cerebral and loveable guy. After that many of the players admitted that he could be absolutely brutal in closed practice sessions.

I still think the comparison is ridiculous.

I have absolutely no problem with athletic teams and physical boot camps that are meant to prepare you mentally and physically for basketball, and to help you build a sense of team. But the military is literally preparing you for life or death situations, and basketball is preparing you for...well...basketball. And the boot camps that Buzz and other coaches run aren't much like those run by the military.

Cool

I am working on a documentary about this whole fiasco.....remember "Hoop Dreams" with William Gates? I am working with Bross to star in his own movie called "Poop Dreams"....coming soon to a location near you

I have absolutely no problem with athletic teams and physical boot camps that are meant to prepare you mentally and physically for basketball, and to help you build a sense of team. But the military is literally preparing you for life or death situations, and basketball is preparing you for...well...basketball. And the boot camps that Buzz and other coaches run aren't much like those run by the military.
    I disagree with that statement entirely. You only have look look as far as our own coaches to see that's not true. You think Al McGuire and Buzz Williams only care about teaching basketball to the team? I don't think you really mean that.

I would guess that Buzz would beg to differ on that point...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I disagree with that statement entirely. You only have look look as far as our own coaches to see that's not true. You think Al McGuire and Buzz Williams only care about teaching basketball to the team? I don't think you really mean that.

As far as the boot camp goes. And even if you take it further than that, again, this isn't the military.

No it is not the military, but the while idea of boot camp is the same concept, done for the same reason. To push you to the extreme both physically and mentally to prepare you for what is ahead.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast