Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Wardle investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    As far as the boot camp goes. And even if you take it further than that, again, this isn't the military.
    So you don't think sports teaches you any life skills or that the coach has more than just winning a game in mind?

As far as the boot camp goes. And even if you take it further than that, again, this isn't the military.
    Just a guess...you've never been through (military) boot camp, have you? That's what I thought.

It's nothing like it's portrayed on TV.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    So you don't think sports teaches you any life skills or that the coach has more than just winning a game in mind?

Of course it does. I don't think you understand what I am saying.

Well, what is it that most of us here are obviously missing?

I understand exactly what you are saying. However, you said this:
    "and basketball is preparing you for...well...basketball"

I'm saying you don't really mean that, and by your last post, it's obvious you don't.

Moving on to your point about preparing you for life or death situations. Sure, coaches' boot camps and basketball practices aren't preparing you for something so extreme. It's not preparing you to avoid dying. However, it is preparing you for life. Boot camps in the military prepare you for discipline. They also challenge you physically and mentally so that you are able to handle pressure situations. Sports teaches you the same thing. You set goals, and you push yourself to the extreme, both physically and mentally to reach those goals. Sports gives you discipline and the tools you need to succeed in life. So, just because it's not a polarizing situation of life or death, the intentions are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Well, what is it that most of us here are obviously missing?

That I simply don't believe equating a basketball boot camp with a military one is a good comparison.

That I simply don't believe equating a basketball boot camp with a military one is a good comparison.
    The concept is the same. In a word, as Crisco noted, its about discipline. Beyond that you are simply being argumentative and splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    The concept is the same. In a word, as Crisco noted, its about discipline. Beyond that you are simply being argumentative and splitting hairs.

I am not sure why I am being labelled "argumentative." I thought the comparison was ridiculous and have pretty much spent the rest of the time responding to questions about why I believe that's the case in pretty short responses.

Not everyone has to agree with everyone on every topic you know.

I am not sure why I am being labelled "argumentative." I thought the comparison was ridiculous and have pretty much spent the rest of the time responding to questions about why I believe that's the case in pretty short responses.

Edited. Didn't mean to be a smarta**.
    Last edited by Mucrisco; 05-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Likely the choice of words you used. "Ridiculous" is an extreme word and brings a strong reaction.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213