Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Cooks out as coach at Marquette High

Dave Cooks out as coach at Marquette High

Per Mark Miller via WisSports.net, David Cooks will no longer be coaching basketball at Marquette High.

That is a high school job that will attract a LOT of applicants.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Can Marquette High School become a factor in basketball again?

I think MUHS problem is that they are going to be invariably stuck in the Division 1 bracket, which means fighting it out against the top MPS programs. They did it back in 2010...but the road is so much easier for schools like Dominican.

Nevertheless, isn't this a somewhat surprising move?

If they have the appropriate number of students that classify them as a Division 1 program, I guess I don't understand you saying they are "stuck" in Division 1. If you truly want to be the best you have to play and beat the best. I would more say Dominican is "stuck" in Division 4. I'm sure they would rather play a more competitive conference schedule. No doubt there will be some top notch candidates for the Marquette coaching position and would predict greater success 2-3 years down the road than they have had recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    If they have the appropriate number of students that classify them as a Division 1 program, I guess I don't understand you saying they are "stuck" in Division 1. If you truly want to be the best you have to play and beat the best. I would more say Dominican is "stuck" in Division 4. I'm sure they would rather play a more competitive conference schedule. No doubt there will be some top notch candidates for the Marquette coaching position and would predict greater success 2-3 years down the road than they have had recently.

OK, let me clarify.

It is easier for Dominican to put together a championship caliber program because they can draw students from the entire Milwaukee area, but are competing in Division 4. MUHS draws students from the same geographic area, but they compete in Division 1.

This is the main reason why private schools have done well in the lower levels, but have struggled in the upper levels.

Marquette should be able to compete with anybody. They have 1050 students, but for WIAA numbers they get bumped to 2100. They need to get their program back to where it was years ago.

Dominican is an interesting one. Need to see what happens with their staff. A lot of kids wanted to go there to play for Wollersheim. Will that continue now that Wollersheim is gone? Really not sure what will happen over the next 5 years there.

Dominican has some really good kids registered for the fall in the class of 2017.

It's a very good school and a terrific choice for a lot of kids on that side of town.

Agree Mark, I didn't mean it as a knock on Dominican, just noting that they lost a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Marquette should be able to compete with anybody. They have 1050 students, but for WIAA numbers they get bumped to 2100. They need to get their program back to where it was years ago.

Dominican is an interesting one. Need to see what happens with their staff. A lot of kids wanted to go there to play for Wollersheim. Will that continue now that Wollersheim is gone? Really not sure what will happen over the next 5 years there.
    I know WISAA also doubled the number in a one gender school. That is the reason why MUHS is bumped. To make it more comparable to a co-ed school (which 99.99% are).

Correct Mac, that is a fair way to do it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast