Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Alford to UCLA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    How successful has Iowa been after Alford? He took them to three NCAA's and they haven't been back since. He has been the most successful coach at New Mexico and won 4 league titles there. I wouldn't say he's better than Howland, necessarily, but he's not a huge downgrade like it appears you guys are claiming. I was surprised they fired him in the first place. Again, I've never really liked Alford, but he's certainly proven he's a great coach. Also, I don't think he was fired from Iowa. I think he bolted for New Mexico.
    Or, how successful was Iowa before Alford? Cuts both ways. They came off a Sweet 16 when he took over. Were consistent in the NCAA, as well (prior to his arrival). It is much easier to maintain a program when you have recognition and success than it is to rebuild. Perhaps the Piere Pierce incident and Aford's horrible interference, may have hurt Iowa as much or more, no? You are correct that he left Iowa, before they could fire him.

I am not buying the greatness. That word means something, and should not just be thrown around. Frankly, you and MUBasketball are just throwing it around, IMHO.
    Last edited by MUMac; 03-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    What a ridiculous comment. He won at Manchester. That doesn't count because its not Division 1? I don't understand your point.
    Where did I say it does not count? Don't put words in my mouth or twists what I said. What I said is it does not define greatness - you know, the ridiculous comment you consistently make that does not make any sense either.

I guess the other facts I provided were too harsh for your indepth rebuttable.

To each their own. UCLA, one of the top 6 programs in the country, certainly think he's a great coach. Stevens is definitely the better coach, but I would call him elite. For the record, I would call JTIII a great coach, but not elite like Stevens. I think Alford and JTIII are comparable. The important thing is that UCLA didn't hire Buzz. So, that's the biggest reason why I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Where did I say it does not count? Don't put words in my mouth or twists what I said. What I said is it does not define greatness - you know, the ridiculous comment you consistently make that does not make any sense either.

I guess the other facts I provided were too harsh for your indepth rebuttable.
    I never said he's a great.coach because of what he did at Manchester. I said he's a great coach because he's won everywhere he has been....including Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    To each their own. UCLA, one of the top 6 programs in the country, certainly think he's a great coach. Stevens is definitely the better coach, but I would call him elite. For the record, I would call JTIII a great coach, but not elite like Stevens. I think Alford and JTIII are comparable. The important thing is that UCLA didn't hire Buzz. So, that's the biggest reason why I'm not complaining.
    Do they? Or did they hire the best they could after their list was getting whittled down. Are they they still one of the top 6 programs? I am guessing many coaches do not share your same feelings.

As I said, the term great certainly is easy to throw around. You have not given any facts to support the term, but that is what it is. I do not believe he is great, nor do I believe he is better than Howland. He has not demonstrated greatness. He is very good, but great is an extreme.

That Iowa program was already on a downward trend with an aging Tom Davis. They were a bubble team in 99 and they rallied for a coach that they felt was being unfairly shown the door. Actually, I have given my facts. I've shown how he overachieved the programs he was at. The word "great" however, is subjective. I don't really see what use it is to bother spending more time on this subject trying to convince people who have already made up their minds of why I think he is a great coach when I don't even like the guy and I'm happy they didn't get Buzz.

Actually, that was exactly what Iowa did when they fired Tom Davis at Iowa to hire Alford. A few years later, Drake, under Tom Davis, beat them. Alford jumped to New Mexico before he could be pushed at Iowa. No way anybody thinks that was a step up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123