Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Alford to UCLA!!

Steve Alford to UCLA!!

Being reported on SportsCenter right now by Katz.

Over/Under at three years. Any takers?

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Over/Under at three years. Any takers?
    VS
    Sounds like a classic push there.

So, UCLA fired a coach that had been to 3 Final 4's, just won the Pac 10 and made the Tournament, but lost in the first round. Then they hired a coach who has been to one Sweet 16 in 7 appearances, lost in the first game 4 times and just lost in the first round this year. Well done. Well done, indeed!!

I am stunned by this. And this is why Buzz shouldn't look at some of these schools. What an average choice for a supposed storied program.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I am stunned by this. And this is why Buzz shouldn't look jiat some of these schools. What an average choice for a supposed storied program.
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Alford is an excellent coach. I think its a great hire.

I think he's a great coach too. He always has rubbed me the wrong way though, ever since we were forced to watch Steve Alford videos at basketball camps. MUBasketball, you might get a kick out of this story. The women's team had a game at Iowa. We were having our practice at their arena, the night before. During the practice, two men's basketball players walk in and need to get to the other side of the floor. One walks around, but the other one, with his headphones on, staring at his music, crosses and half court, strolling past, taking his time, right in the middle of practice. The other guy started laughing and said,"Hey man, they're practicing!" He responded,"What man? This is my court!" I always thought that behavior reflected poorly on the coach.

Anyway, I was wrong Warriorfan4ever. Turns out, even a guy like Steve Alford would take the UCLA job over USC.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Alford is an excellent coach. I think its a great hire.

I disagree after him doing basically nothing at Iowa while the Big Ten was down. Maybe he can do something at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I disagree after him doing basically nothing at Iowa while the Big Ten was down. Maybe he can do something at UCLA.
    He had a successful tenure at Iowa. One season, they were a 3 seed in the Big Dance. He's from Indiana, a coach's son, played for Knight....he's a great coach. Won at Missouri State also.

He has four tournament victories in 18 years as a coach. He piles up a bunch of wins during the season, then craps the bed in the tournament...repeatedly. As a coach, he's OK. But he isn't a better coach than Howland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast